Hotmail direct support in next release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dupdup, Jun 1, 2008.

1. dupdup macrumors newbie

I know they are building all kinds of support for microsoft Exchange into the next release but does anyone remember whether Hotmail support was going to be included natively?

On a side note the reason why I'm considering switching from yahoo to hotmail (or aol) is that I now get more spam than ever, I think due to the iphone. When I delete a message from my iphone and then look at it through the web ui it shows up as being read in the trash. So I'm guessing that I've made atleast one good spam address list by triggering a call back. It seems out of the free providers aol and hotmail are the only ones that block everyone outside of your address book (which seems to me to be the best hope).

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think the best you can do is create a webclip for Hotmail. Haven't seen anything for Hotmail being supported via mail.app.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If Hotmail can be used via Exchange then this is a possibility, otherwise no.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You won't see any hotmail support because hotmail itself does not do POP3 or IMAP. GMail is the way to go.

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

Gmail doesnt even have push service, that totally blows. Google really need to add it. :D

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You could just purchase Yahoo! Mail Plus, like I did, and it will work flawlessly with the iPhone and it is amazing at blocking spam. It's only $20 a year and it's definitely worth it.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Switch to gmail if you're gonna switch. I've been using it on my iPhone for eleven months and I'm yet to have a spam problem. IMAP was a great addition, too.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

agreed.

yahoo also has free push email for the iPhone, though not for Mail.app on your mac if that matters.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

And from what ive read yahoo push doesnt work %80 of the time.
    Gmail has amazing spam filtering and the other features make it a ton better than yahoo. (plus it doesnt add annoying tags to all my emails)

Don't pay for yahoo mail, get gmail for free.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Also forgot to add: izymail is pretty good for Hotmail, not perfect, but good. Its $18 a year to use, and its been well worth it to me.

11. neven macrumors 6502a

To be fair, Gmail's IMAP has very annoying reliability and consistency problems as well. It's better now than when they launched it, but if they add push support, I'll be suspicious of its quality for a while (just like the Sync Address Book to Google that was added in 10.5.3, which has the reliability of a quickly assembled AppleScript hack.)

12. frosse macrumors 6502a

Why would one pay for e-mail service? I mean, what does Yahoo Plus have that Gmail doesnt?

I believe that google will add Push, its a necessity for the iphone :)

13. dupdup thread starter macrumors newbie

The only reason I would consider aol or hotmail is because of the filter everyone who is not in my address book feature. I've been very careful about spam for a number years but is has just been a slow increase over time with my yahoo account. So people can say how great the spam filters are but I'm still getting spam messages that get through my filters (using all 50) and their built in filtering. Google, yahoo, etc just can't seem to implement the screen out everyone not in my address book feature which is all I want.