hotmail email account hijacked

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattg3, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Put my 2010 mac in sleep mode and went to work.Came home to find my computer out of sleep mode and emails from my contacts saying they have been getting spam in my name.Found a pile of undelivered notifications in my hotmail inbox.I changed my password in the hope that is the end of this.I thought mac could not get malware or virus.Im new to mac world so can anyone explain what is going on here? Thanks Matt

2. Bear macrumors G3

It is possible to forge the sender on emails, so they messages you're getting notifications for may not even have been sent from your system or hotmail account.

And it's possible they could have cracked your hotmail password or they could have stolen the password in some other way than having a virus on your system.. Remember to use different passwords for each site you go to. Especially don't use your email password when registering for websites.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It has nothing to do with your Mac and everything to do with either a weak password or using an e-mail service known for being a spam haven.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - Yep, someone guessed your password for Hotmail. Has nothing to do with your Mac. See here for Mac virus/lack thereof info.

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Its not impossible to get a virus on a Mac, but unless you count that recent Mac Defender scare its so unlikely its not even worth thinking about.

It defo sounds like your Hotmail accounts being hacked. Change your password to something with capital letters and numbers in, the more complex it is the less likely it is you'll be hacked in the future.

6. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    As others have said, this was only a case of your email account being hacked or spoofed, and completely unrelated to your computer.

8. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

No malware/virus' were probably installed as virus' like mentioned before do not exist for the .

But I will say this, ditch the damn hotmail account. go with GMail. Way more secure. dont bother with Yahoo or another hotmail account those are always farmed and spammed religiously.