hotmail + entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hehe299792458, Feb 10, 2009.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

is there some sort of plugin like Outlook Connector for Windows that allows Entourage to access Hotmail and Live Calendar?

2. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

hmmm. my last post seems to have disappeared....

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Two different answers here, depending on where you live.

Entourage supports Hotmail natively. From the Entourage menu, select Account Settings, then click the New button. In the drop-down menu, select Windows Live Hotmail. Then enter in your Hotmail account information.

Hotmail is starting to switch over from their existing protocol to using POP, which means that you won't need to do anything special to have access to it. We're rolling it out worldwide. Currently, it's available in some European countries, as well as Canada and Australia. The rest of the world is coming soon. I don't know the schedule for the rest of the world, since I'm not on the Hotmail team. This post at Ars Technica has more details about the countries it's currently available in and how to get it set up.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

And again Hotmail falls behind for not using IMAP.

IMAP is clearly the best option for a web-based/client-based mixed enviroment.

I want to see the same thing in my web interface that I see in my mail programs.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I posted just before the announcement went live. Hotmail is now available via POP3 in the US and Brasil; more details here.

If you wish that Hotmail had gone in another direction instead of offering free POP3 access to everyone, tell them about it. When submitting product feedback, giving details about exactly why you want something else helps the team make better decisions.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I live in Canada, so theoretically, it should work. But it doesn't (see screenshot). But Outlook Connector + Outlook 2008 works.

Attached Files:

7. akbc macrumors 6502

I live in Canada, I use @live.ca e-mail account from Hotmail.

Entourage uses IMAP natively with my live.ca account. I don't know what's wrong with yours :(

8. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Could it be a problem with the old @msn addresses?

9. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I don't use Hotmail but I thought you had to pay to be able to use Hotmail through Outlook and Entourage. Could be wrong though.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

In Entourage, create a new account with type POP. Then enter in the details for your Hotmail account (using the server names and other information in the post that I linked to above). Don't use the Hotmail setting. The change to Hotmail just went live, so we haven't had the chance to update Entourage yet to reflect the new way to connect to Hotmail.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

12. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Thanks a lot! That worked! Yea... Now, I come across another problem (and this one must seem even more idiotic...): how I change the view option so that I can have my hotmail account and Gmail account appear in different inboxes? Thanks!:)

13. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Personally, I do this via rules.

First, create a new folder for your mail to go to. I do this as a subfolder of my inbox, and I name it after my server (so I've got one named Hotmail, another named Gmail, etc etc etc).

Now, go to Tools -> Rules. Make sure that the tab "Mail (POP)" is selected, then click on the "New" toolbar button. In the first section (the one with the "add criterion" button), select "any recipient" in the drop-down box (it's automatically populated with "all messages". Then type in your email address. In the second section (the one with the "add action" button), select "move message" in the first drop-down, and then in the second drop-down, select the folder you just created. Then select the second action that's there, and click the "remove action" button. Make sure that the "Enabled" checkbox is checked, and finally click the OK button.

If you've already got some email and want to apply this rule to them, go into the folder where that email lives now. Select it all, go to the Messages menu, select Apply Rule -> All Rules.

HTH. :) I use rules to manage all of my email. I get lots upon lots of email, and my extensive use of rules is what makes it possible for me to deal with it in a reasonable manner.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

14. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Thanks nadyne! Now, I finally have everything set up. However, I do still have one concern: Can I get hotmail to keep (i.e. not delete) my mail from the online servers once I download them? And for those already deleted, is it possible to upload them to the servers again (so I can view them online)? Thanks!:)

15. nadyne macrumors 6502a

In Entourage, go to the Entourage menu and select Account Settings, then double-click on your Hotmail account. Select the Options tab. Under "Server options", check the box to "Leave a copy of each message on the server". I also check the box to "Delete messages on the server after they are deleted from this computer", but that might not make sense for you. Choose your options wisely, grasshopper. :)

The only way to get your mail back onto the server would be to forward it to yourself.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

16. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

sorry to bring this issue up again, but when i tried to send an email inside entourage using my hotmail account, I get an error message telling me that the server timed out due to high network traffic, or maintenance, etc. Error:~3259. I tried this over a period of several days and got the same thing. I am able to use the website to send and received mail fine. In fact, I can also use entourage to receive mail from this account, it's just that I can't send it. All other accounts (Gmail) are working fine on Entourage. Did MS change hotmail's server settings? What can I do to fix it? Thanks!:D:

17. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What's odd is that the "old" hotmail when used in entourage was basically the same as IMAP. Yes, it used its own protocol, but the result was the same as IMAP--changes in entourage to inbox and other items were reflected online and vice versa. So not only are they falling behind, they're stepping further backwards.

19. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

umm, if you could please answer my question, that'd be great. Thanks!:D

20. macshred macrumors newbie

hi guys, i am having the same popup window when i try and connect to hotmail, entourage set up a live hotmail account when i first installed entourage but it doesnt seem to want to connect. i have tried setting up a new one as POP, but i dont know what the POP server and STMP servers are?? can anyone help

21. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The Hotmail team's blog has the details for the settings: check out this post.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

22. macshred macrumors newbie

ok, ive put these details in and im getting the following message:

Authentication failed because Entourage doesn't support any of the available authentication methods.

23. macshred macrumors newbie

also, is the pop username/pword the same as my windows live login? ie, hotmail email add and password?

what am i doing wrong?

24. nadyne macrumors 6502a

As the post that I linked to says, your username and password is your Windows Live ID, such as "whoever@hotmail.com" or "whoever@live.com".

Regards,
    Nadyne.

25. Alwayz4u2nV macrumors newbie

Mac Entourage 2008: login issues

Hi, quick question. Does anyone know why Entourage 2008 only allows login every 15 minutes?? Currently I have it set to send/receive every 1 minute, but then it always gives that error that "login is only allowed every 15 minutes." Don't know if this is only the case for hotmail. Please let me know if anyone has a clue. Thanks.