Hotmail Exchange Features for Mac-Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kaimz, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kaimz macrumors newbie

Hello,

hotmail doesen't support Imap for their emailservice, But Exchange-features work for an Iphone. (m.live.com etc..)

Why doesn't work the same seetings for Mail 5 in lion? In Lion there is the same dialog at systemsettings /mail/contact/calender like the Iphone. But it doesen't work.
    Is it possible that Hotmail/Live check the device which connect with this settings? Similar like Webserver which check the Browserengine that used?
    And anytime there is a Mailclient which is not an Iphone that where Blocked?

Is there a way ,that i change some seetings on lion or mail that my Mailclient looks for the Hotmail-Service like an Iphone?

I don't like Pop3 and Mbox Mail works good for mail but no calender and contacts. I don't want use a lot of thirdparty tools to run a service that run by an iphone without any tools.

Greetz
    kkduke

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Microsoft only activated exchange activesync for hotmail for mobile devices. And I dont think they will be doing it for computers anytime soon, they make a lot of money of exchange and enterprise, if they start offering for free via hotmail.. small companies and other users will just use that and have no need to pay for enterprise or exchange.

3. kaimz thread starter macrumors newbie

the question is not why they do it or not. The Question is how do they check if a Sync was startet from an Iphone or from a Mail Programm like Apple Mail??
    I think not that is a question of the Active-Sync/Exchange protocol. I think the device sent a ident-key or something else so that the service believe that is a mobil device. That was my question.. is there a identifier in the Sync-Process that send that i use a macbook or that i use Lion or Apple Mail.
    Something is other than the sync from an Iphone. I want that my Mac Mail sync so with hotmail or live that the service believe that is a iphone or a mobil device.
    Browsers like safari, chrome, iexplorer etc.. send the used Engine to the webserver.. i believe that mailapps that also do .. not the browser engine but the name or OS or something else.. and so hotmail check it. I want that MacMail act as Iphonemail in the "checking process".
    Any tips?

4. brandscill macrumors 6502

5. kaimz thread starter macrumors newbie

I know Mbox but that was not the topic. The question is how check Hotmail/live.com if the Device that want to sync is an Iphone or a Mac. Iphone works fine with with Sync but other mail clients can't use it. The Use the same protocol. I think there is a Value that say "iphone os" or "macosx" in the sync progress. And i want to fake this value that i can use the Exchange Features on Mac.
    Mbox is nice for mails but do not sync Calender or Kontacts.

6. brandscill macrumors 6502

I don't think you fully understand how it all works. Microsoft has enabled activesync exchange support, this is specific to mobile phones and the protocol has been set up my apple on the iPhone to support exchange servers. Exchange on the desktop uses a different protocol therefore the activesync protocol doesn't exist in osx. Spoofing mail into telling hotmail it's an iPhone will not enable it to work.