Hotmail in iOS, which is the best option?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hafr, Sep 30, 2013.

1. hafr macrumors 68030

I've used the Exchange account option to set up my Hotmail account on the iPhone since it became possible, and I've never had any complaints about it. But now I see there is a native option - Outlook.

Considering the problems people are having with different e-mail accounts and their syncing apparently killing the battery, I wonder if anyone knows what the difference is between the workaround and the new, native option?

On one hand, I see no point in changing what works, but on the other hand I don't really like workarounds when they're not needed...

2. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

I have not had any problem with the old Hotmail and now the current outlook included app. I use exchange for Gmail for the push option. Even though it really doesn't work. Outlook/Hotmail has had no such problem and continues to push to my phone as needed.

I tried out the mailbox app but it is just for Gmail. If they allow other email services that is by far the best email client I have used to date on iOS.

3. caesarp, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

caesarp macrumors 6502a

Umm, its basically the same thing. Hotmail users are being migrated to outlook (or should have been anyway). You can set up an alias in outlook/hotmail. So I have xxx@outlook.com and xxx@hotmail.com

I changed my email address in ios on what was the hotmail account to outlook. It works exactly the same. If you send me emails at xxx.outlook or xxx.hotmail I get them in the same mailbox. But the account is set up on ios as outlook (yet my original account was hotmail).

You should make sure you have an outlook address set up in hotmail or an alias (whatever). And by the way, are you sure it is not set up as an "outlook" native account anyway? When I installed ios7, it automatically set up my Hotmail that way (where before, with ios6, I had hotmail set up as Exchange). So it converted it automatically. It did this on both my iphone 5 and my ipad 3.

And there are zero issues. Outlook is apparently the best free web mail solution there is now. (beats gmail, since it synchs like a coporate Exchange email account).

4. Rigby macrumors 601

The only difference is that with the "Outlook" option, the setup wizard fills in all the necessary info for you. In both cases you end up with the same Exchange ActiveSync configuration (that supports push etc.). You can use the "Outlook" option with both Hotmail and Outlook.com email addresses (as was already mentioned, MS is merging these anyway).

5. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know :) No need to change from Exchange to Outlook then :)

6. TomJones7 macrumors newbie

There is a new app, Mailpod, for Hotmail on iOS. It seems to work well and also integrates SkyDrive (and Dropbox, Google dDrive, etc) for attachments.