hotmail=lame

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshuaaaron, Oct 15, 2008.

1. joshuaaaron macrumors member

why is hotmail so lame. i went into my hotmail account to set up the pop or imap or w/e i use to get mail on my iphone. and you cant access those settings in hotmail, unless you buy a premium account. WTF MICROSOFT. who does that. what a piece

2. xanotherveganx macrumors newbie

3. mutantblack macrumors regular

4. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I switched over to gmail and never looked back. I cannot stand hotmail. UGH!!!!!!

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

POP3 free support is now on hotmail, for those of you who want Hotmail on their iPhone mail, now is the time!

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Because Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are often times places that people go to get email accounts when they have no idea what they're doing. Eventually they see the light, realize they suck, and make the move over to a better service.

Like Gmail.

7. walldawg84 macrumors member

I have hotmail, have for years and years ... I guess I can't really be bothered to make a switch to anything else, and it works fine for what I need and use it for

Among all the chants of 'hotmail sucks' and 'gmail rules', though, and in all seriousness, what is it about gmail that gets everyone so excited?

What are everyones opinions on where hotmail falls down and gmail picks up?

ziggyonice, you said that "Because Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are often times places that people go to get email accounts when they have no idea what they're doing. Eventually they see the light, realize they suck, and make the move over to a better service." What's so great about it?

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

And shortly after that, they realize that giving a complete record of their electronic correspondence to a company with a rather dubious privacy history is a bad idea. They will then spend the rest of their time using the service attempting to justify why this is not as bad as that, and dismissing those who point out this fact as being "paranoid". The justification of "I have nothing to hide" may be used in a feeble attempt to assuage their fears, while the knowledge that their entire lives are exposed for easy searching, archiving, and perusing be various people free from accountability continues to eat at them.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Google isn't providing e-mail to you out of the goodness of their heart -- they're doing it because you (and your data) are the product.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

gmx.com

As good as Gmail, but lets you make up to 10 accounts to which you can forward your mail.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Hotmail was one of my first e-mail services, back in the mid-90s when I came to my senses and broke free from AOHell. I still use the account for signing up for e-business contacts, so all the little "Hey, come back to our website and check out the new Super! Hot! Deals!" ads are collected in one tidy little spot, and I can use my other e-mail services for "real" e-mail.

I must admit, though, that Microsoft finally got the coding halfway right with the latest Live Mail re-write; it works acceptably well with Safari on my Mac. Previous versions during the Hotmail-to-Live transition were awful, even in Windows.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

They're actually pretty decent as far as e-mail providers go. Plus, unlike GMail, their IMAP implementation is actually somewhat standards-compliant. :D

12. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Does gmail push the emails to the iPhone yet? It didn't when i had it so I switched to Yahoo! so I could get the emails pushed directly to my iPhone.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, IMAP?

Using an iPhone without an IMAP account is like...well, I can't even think of an analogy. It's just terrible. You might as well not have e-mail on the phone at all.

I'm serous, if I just HAD to use hotmail I'm not even sure I'd put it on my iPhone. How can someone do that to themselves?