Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
what exactly am i looking for in hotmail? I have seen nothing in settings that would indicate IMAP or pop3.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
you don't have to do anything in Hotmail, just set it up on the iPhone. It kinda works... it hasn't picked up a test email I sent to myself. And POP is annoying, I need IMAP.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
ah duh!

i just noticed now its NOT for the US. oH well back to gmail.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Hotmail POP won't work for me because I have 60,000+ messages and it just crashes MobileMail.app.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No workey for me. Meh...its just POP3 anyway. Gmail ftw :cool:

EDIT: It works, i was trying to set it up in Apple Mail instead of MobileMail. Dunno why you can't do the former and why its a POP3 service...that is just annoying

EDIT: Weird...it also works in Apple Mail now. Must've been doing something wrong. Silly me :eek:

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Top banana - I nearly bought a £5 app to do this on the UK App Store the other day but was put off by the price. I'm glad I'm a tightwad - would've been gutted to shell out, only to find Microsoft had made these changes :D

I'm off to bed a happy man.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
If you go over to have a look at the article, check out the lead story on the girl that texted her Dad with a bit too much personal info! lmao

Big txt fail

to be honest i've done something similar to this on my iPhone although thankfully not as embarrassing as this one.

Anyone else done this?

Even though this is hilarious, doesn't belong in this thread, make a new one.

moniquetx

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
Dallas, TX
Hotmail works on iPhone . . .

For those that are getting an error when setting up their hotmail information

1. You enter your name as entered in your Hotmail account, i.e., when you log into Hotmail it says Hi <Name>.

2. Make sure to leave the description field unchanged it should be something like email@hotmail.com. After the account information is retrieved you can then go back and change the description to whatever you want.

Just tried this in two iPhones and it works. Weird thing is that if I omit step two above I get a message saying password not recognized.

Hope this helps.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Yeah i just changed my region in hotmail to Canada and it now works.

I set it up as other, the only issue i have now is i have over 1600 emails that this thing wants to load. Is there anyway around this painful process or i just suck it up and chip away at it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.