Hotmail/outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Apr 4, 2013.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

Recently I got a notice on my computer that I should "upgrade" to outlook for my hotmail account. I went ahead and click it and I do get my hotmail e-mails but I can noit seem to delete them. They "disappear" for awhile but then come right back. Also I can not seem to delete my junk mail. What am I failing to do? Or do I need to try and revert back to my original hotmail account?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Sounds like Outlook (your email client software) is using IMAP to sync to the Mail server. When you delete the file locally, it isn't getting deleted on the mail server, so when it next syncs, it replaces the missing emails.
    There should be a setting somewhere -- either in Hotmail or Outlook -- to fix this.
    I don't use either, but there's a similar setup in Googlemail.

That "notice" sounds like Microsoft marketing, rather than a warning from OS X that you need to do something.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The "upgrade notice" was from Microsoft. Hotmail is going away - being replaced by Outlook....not to be confused with the Outlook client that comes with MS Office.

You don't really have to do anything to upgrade....your hotmail address will still work and if you access it through the web, you can still go to hotmail.com and it'll re-direct you to Outlook automatically.