Hotmail push mail starts today...is yours working yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drkash, Aug 30, 2010.

1. drkash macrumors regular

2. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I have Gmail setup for push which also grabs my Comcast and Hotmail accounts. This way I have 1 inbox for 3 mail accounts both on the web and on the phone.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

was wondering the right details to setup after reading this:

it keeps asking for password, I enter my password it doesn't like it an eventually get told connection to server failed

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Having the same problem

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Like Apple, Microsoft is a west coast company. It's nearly 4AM Pacific, so they have plenty of time to get this out.

I think they plan an announcement on the Inside Windows Live Blog later today as well.

6. drkash thread starter macrumors regular

Mine's been saying this for weeks - basically that means they haven't activated it yet!
    Those settings are correct though.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I keep forgettin the time difference thing lol with it being midday I think I just assume haha

8. mgirg macrumors regular

Push email is all well and good but is it still POP rather than IMAP?

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Exchange ActiveSync.

It's Microsoft's proprietary Mail/Contacts/Calendar syncing solution that's generally seen as the best in the business.

It's used by virtually every company and organisation.

The iPhone implementation of EAS has pretty much everything that IMAP has (like Folders etc.)

Google Sync for iPhone uses Exchange.

10. shandyman Suspended

i'm far too impatient lol, it's nearly 1.30pm here and i want it switched on now :) thankfully don't have to delete the account and readd it to check, just switch sync mail off, then on later to try it, so i don't have the thing asking for password all the time :)

11. drkash thread starter macrumors regular

Me too lol - thanks for that tip, I was deleting the account then entering all the information again! :eek:

12. mgirg macrumors regular

Thanks for the info.

I have just tried to set it up and been sent an email saying that they are not accepting new requests as they have had so many sign ups, and to try again in two weeks!

Typical Microsoft bug ridden half-arsed job!

13. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Thanks! Getting the same password error. Will try again in a few hours

14. brian4610 macrumors regular

FWIW, i just got this email after trying to set it up. maybe i did it wrong.

"To get Hotmail on-the-go, you recently tried to set up a service called ActiveSync from your mobile device.

We are really glad that you're interested, but we had so many sign-ups that we had to temporarily stop accepting new ones.

We're making constant improvements and we should be accepting new requests fairly soon. Please check the following website in about two weeks to see what's happening: http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?categoryid=699b2703-2b62-4a92-86f2-9d5d52cc477d.

Thanks again for using Hotmail--we're really sorry about this delay."

Sincerely,
    The Hotmail Team

15. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

16. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It started working for me too. It wasn't working last week.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yes, so Mac & Linux users still have to use the web interface to get all of their folders if they're using 3rd party clients. I believe that both Outlook and Windows Live Mail already have an Exchange-type synchronization method with Hotmail that brings in all of your folders.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No it isn't.

-They haven't announced this service officially
    -They haven't launched this service yet
    -You tried using settings that have been discovered through unofficial means
    -As you didn't try it several weeks ago, your account will be rejected and you'll be sent that email

Once the service launches, then you can complain.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I set it up and got the wait two weeks email but the exchange is working :)

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well mines working now.... I'm wondering if it didn't work because I was too bone headed to realise I had to put my email address instead of just the first part in as my username lol

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

OK mine is working and it's very fast (much faster than izymail). But I've seen many mentions of folders working, but mine just goes right to my inbox and doesn't display any of my folders.

Is there anything I need to do to get my folders to work?

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I didn't realize I had an inbox section with all my inboxes, and right below that had an account section. If I hit my account hotmail I get all my folders. Now the only issue is that I'm not seeing any of my mail that's in the folders, only my inbox stuff. I've even tried to refresh while inside the folder and nada.

23. shandyman Suspended

mine's up and running too :) with folders and everything in them that's on my account. loving it!!!

just need iOS 4 on my iPad so i can have my hotmail and gmail both on exchange push!!

has anyone sync'd contacts and calenders too? what happens with it? as i don't want it to overwrite my existing contacts, i'm yet to actually have my contacts on windows 7 seamlessly merge with the hotmail contacts yet, so they're a bit flaky.

24. drkash thread starter macrumors regular

It finally works!

Yippeee its finally working!! :D

Have tested it and it definitely supports push and synchs with my hotmail account.

My folders work fine - when I open up the folders the emails take a little while to download them but then stay after that. I guess the time it takes depends on your connection (mine's pretty quick as I'm using wifi currently)

25. Daveoc64 macrumors 601