Hotmail push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmpoboy2, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

I read on a tech blog here in PR that microsoft on going to enable email push notification on Microsoft exchange starting this Monday. Anyone heard about this?, Is it true?

2. shandyman Suspended

It's activesync, you set up via exchange, google hotmail activesync for the settings, some people managed to start using it already, but hotmail won't let anymore start using it at the mo as they got swamped, I set it up to get an email saying they had high demand and that they will allow people to start using it in 2 weeks.

Edit - here's the settings:

Set up new mail account, picking exchange

email: myemail@live.com
    SSL enabled
    username: myemail@live.com
    password: password
    Domain: <blank>

Click next

server address: m.hotmail.com

You're done. Until it's up and running again it will just ask for password though.

3. kmpoboy2 thread starter macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Yeah, I already did that and got the try againg in two weeks email. What i was saying is that the service goes live on monday and wanted to know if it was true. Anyways I found a link to the news:

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/08/27/hotmail-push-email-headed-for-iphone-and-windows-phone-7/

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question.

4. shandyman Suspended

That's the first I heard of it, to be honest, doubt anyone will know for sure here unles MS have officially said anything. Best thing is try it Monday and see

5. shandyman Suspended

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Someone ask him WTF Microsoft won't enable IMAP

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

According to them IMAP is too old and their POP works better in this futuristic world :rolleyes:
    Anyways w/ activesync it will still push everything mail, contacts and calendar so really for the normal end user there would be no true difference between IMAP and POP.

Also there are olders threads already of this here: example:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1002024

8. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

Does this work?

Does anyone know if this work yet? An how to set it up?

9. shandyman Suspended

see my post above, as the OP said, it's coming on monday, so no point trying to set it up by then, one of the developers on twitter has confirmed this - http://www.twitter.com/ryanburk he was giving people early access, not sure if he still will since it starts monday and its the weekend now.

wouldn't hurt to read the other posts in the thread before posting ;)

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The big difference is folders, probably doesn't matter to most, but I really need my folders.

11. shandyman Suspended

i think activesync should bring the folders, with gmail exchange you can have folders syncing too from what i have seen

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yeah, but on the non-mobile side, the lack of IMAP is the reason I eventually left Hotmail for Gmail. They're shooting themselves in the foot by ignoring IMAP and continuing to stand behind POP.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Just curious what IMAP has that this solution they are enabling Monday doesn't have. My own personal issue with the lack of IMAP was that I wouldn't get my hotmail folders using POP3, but as another user has confirmed with Monday's solution I will in fact get folders. What else does IMAP bring that wouldn't be covered?