Hotmail Question and Deleting on Server

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iwhat???, Aug 26, 2010.

1. iwhat??? macrumors member

I am no expert, so please help me in determining if I want to delete an email from hotmail (or mark as read or unread) on the iphone then it will also do the same action once I log onto hotmail on a computer based on this coming next week. I like the fact that I can delete an email using my gmail and it is also gone when I log into gmail from a computer.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20014811-56.html?tag=cnetRiver

Thanks

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's not imap like in google, it will still be pop but will integrate activesync so all of the stuff you want to do in the post and more once they activate activesync you will be able to. You will have to set it up as an exchange account and will be able to sync mail, contacts and calendars just like any other exchange account

3. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

The short answer I think you are looking for: yes.

The longer version requires understanding the synching time - it is not as 'real time' so to speak as Gmails IMAP.

4. shandyman Suspended

activesync is active already, they're just not allowing anyone else to start using activesync for a couple of weeks due to demand.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

not completely true... only the people that discovered and tried it around June (I think) were basically given beta access to using it, the rest of the accounts are still deactivated/blocked for using it. If you try to do it you get an email from hotmail telling you that soon they will bring it out to everybody and be patient.... They are still fixing bugs and stuff in it so I check on ryan burk twitter for updates on the program finalization (you can also ask him for beta access from what I have seen)

6. shandyman Suspended

thats basically what i was summarising, just couldn't be bothered to go into much detail as i was shattered at the time. anyone could try it, but anyone trying now will be told that they stopped due to demand, but the people that gained access still have access. either in the email, or on the blog they say that to wait 2 week and they will start allowing access again.

7. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I only really read the first post...but I just wanna say this.
    I wouldn't use Hotmail if I were you. What I did was set up a GMail account, then had all of my Hotmail messages forwarded to my GMail. It removes them from your Hotmail inbox when they are forwarded (does this very fast) and when you delete or read them from your phone then the same thing happens on the server.
    I'm so much happier sing GMail than Hotmail.

8. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Last I heard, regular hotmail free users couldn't foward emails?

9. Kendio7 macrumors member

I thought that too.