hotmail via OSX-Leopard Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jan 14, 2008.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I get most of my mail through .mac, but I still have a bit coming to my old hotmail account. Is there a way to get that mail via my OSX Mail program??

I have OSX-Leopard 10.5.1.

Thanks.

Frank

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I belive not - hence why I left Hotmail a few years ago and went to Gmail.

Unless they've changed, Hotmail don't allow POP access (which is what you need to have Mail get emails for you).

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I believe, not tried though, you can forward mail from Hotmail to another e-mail address. That would be the only way.

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

We all know what Microsoft is like. Hotmail won't work with anything other than Outlook.

There are some 3rd party plugins around, but they're quite hard to set up, and don't always work.

You can't forward using hotmail, tried that already :(

Just another reason why I changed to gmail. It now has IMAP which works even better with Apple's Mail.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Well, not very many email service providers give pop/imap service to users for free anyway. Not a exclusively M$ issue.

To OP, some extensions will work for thunderbird to check hotmail or yahoo

http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

You can pay $20 for a one year subscription of Live Hotmail Plus (i dont know the real name) and you get no advertisements. But you also get the option to forward the emails. I did that and now all my emails are forwarded to gmail which then goes to mac mail.

7. hehedavid macrumors newbie

To get Hotmail emails to OS X Mail, I use "Daniel’s HTTPMail Plug-in 1.46" at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/danielshttpmailplugin.html.

I have been using it for a few months now and I really like it.
    One thing you should be aware of is that I think I read somewhere that in order for it to work, that your Hotmail account should have been created long time ago. Hope it works for you.

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

So you could do this for a year with a reply-to set to the new e-mail, then after a year your contacts should be sending to the right address. By then Hotmail will probably support POP :p

9. slabman macrumors member

Gmail forwarding

Whazziz? I was unaware Gmail would forward to my MacMail. Can someone please tell me what the procedure is?

Also, once this mail is forwarded, I assume it will be unavailable through Gmail on another computer?

Thanks.