Hotmail Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macornomac, Mar 2, 2009.

1. macornomac macrumors 6502

Ok guys I think I have something wrong with my hotmail. I don't think its my laptop because I checked my hotmail messages on another computer and the same thing comes up. A few days ago everyone on my contact list got this message sent by my email
    Dear friend:
    how are you doing recently ? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew.They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need, such as motorcycles, laptops, mobile phones, digial cameras, TV LCD, xbox, ps3, gps, MP3/4, etc. Please take some time to have a look at it,there must be something you'd like to purchase.
    Their website: sell-good.com
    Their Email/MSN: sellgood@188.com
    Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company!

I sure didnt send it but figured I got something on my laptop. Now it hasn't sent any more of these messages but today I noticed that when I try to send a reply message to people that pops up in the reply message. Anyone know anything about this thing????

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Somebody stole your password, change your passwords NOW!

3. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I changed my password but how the hell do I get rid of that stupid message because it shows up when I start a new message and when I reply. Is there somewhere in the settings??

4. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

It is an automated bot for sure.
    If you changed your password and it still doesn't work, you should run a scan with www.iantivirus.com

5. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I downloaded that program running scan now hope this works.

Well now my other question is I don't think this virus or whatever is directed towards my computer because when I go check on another machine that isn't my laptop it shows the same thing. So I dont think running this scan will help but who knows. Ahh this sucks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't help, since there are no viruses that exist for Mac OS X.
    You're right. Running the scan won't help at all. Not only are there no viruses in existence that run on Mac OS X, a virus wouldn't affect other PCs that you try to access the same account. The problem lies in Hotmail, itself.

7. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok yeah I found out how to delete the message I guess someone did hack into my hotmail or whatever. It was in the automated reply message. So I had to delete that message and now its gone. Weird.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you worked it out! For future reference, no matter what problem you're having with a Mac running current Mac OS X, a virus is NOT one of the possibilities (at least not in today's world.) As long as you're careful what software you install and where you get it, you won't have any worries about trojans, either.

9. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

Same thing

The same EXACT thing happened to me on the same day. How does this happen? I don't ever click on or respond to spam.:mad:

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Usually fake email sign in pages

11. stujmac26 macrumors regular

12. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I changed my password, deleted my contact list and cleared out the spam message. It was in the signature section on hotmail. I use gmail now, but keep the hotmail account since I have had it so long.

13. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

more than likely. it's always good to have at least a couple of numbers and capitals in your password

14. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Yikes! That is scary. Glad you got it fixed. I have never used Hotmail, isn't that a Microsoft service?

I use Gmail and have had no issues with that. I only give out my .mac email address to close friends and use my gmail account to sign up for forums and as a filter for my junk mail...it works great.

Perhaps you can trash that hotmail account and start up with a gmail.

15. kikat31 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me - Dell pc, not MAC

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my hotmail account. Yesterday when I logged in many of my more recent emails were gone, my inbox, sent items, etc. I also cannot sent any emails as I am being given a notice that I have reached my limit and need to wait 24 hours, problem is I had not sent ANY emails. I am however getting the below delivery failure messages so someone or something is in my account. I also had this automated "vacation reply" on with the message below - I deleted it and changed my password but I need those lost emails. I am wondering if hotmail can help?

To: lynn1522@hotmail.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 05:55:15 -0700
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed. tracey.burke@norske-skog.co.nz

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
    Subject: RE:
    Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:51:47 -0500

Dear friend:

This is the greeting from coshopcn LTD.,one of the big Electrical wholesaler and Retailer in China.We mainly sell electrical product such as digital cameras, mobile,LCD TV,xbox, Laptops,DV,Mp4, GPS, please visit our website: coshopcn.com We can offer you both high quality products and good price .All items we list on this website are brand new and original with sealed box. and come with official warranty .

MSN : coshopcn_01@yahoo.com.cn
    Email: coshopcn_01@188.com

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Be thankful it's just your email, not your bank account.

Read up on "phishing"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

- STOP USING HOTMAIL (gmail is much faster anyway)
    - Use a secure password
    - Don't log into any web sites via link from any email you received

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Change your passwords!

Be sure to get any that are associated with the email account, e.g. bank ...

18. symaxwell macrumors newbie

Check your signature and your vacation message.

Hey guys.

I just had this happen to me as well. Its a hotmail issue. It was sent directly from my hotmail account to everyone on that contact list. It was not sent from my computer. I emailed the hotmail staff about this and they are going to look into it. Apparently this has affected quite a few users. I have a fairly complex password and my security question as well. It must be some sort of internal hack. If you are getting that email every time you create a new email its because they added it to your auto signature. You need to go into your personal settings and check two things. Check your "auto vacation message" and your "personal signature". Its under options, more options. Hope this was helpful.

-Seth

19. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Don't forget, it doesn't matter how strong your password is, it's equally as hard (or easy) to get phished.