Hotmail will not work on chrome/safari/firefox

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdaniel, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

So for the past day hotmail will not load properly for me. The page will load, when I click something like a folder or an email, nothing happens. Tried it on 3 browsers same thing. I change options its fine, but with folders and emails, nothing.

I am assuming if its across 3 browsers its something about my mac or its them. The emails work fine on the iphone.

So what could be the problem?

I also have issue with some sits, like nordstroms.com when I select an option regular/big/tall or something is supposed to change, show me more options, but it doesnt.

Is this a html or java or whatever coding problem? Something on my mac isnt jiving well with the web.

I have done the usual clear caches repair permissions, reinstall.. whatever a normal person with some tech know how will do....

What else can I do?

THANKS!!!

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

so i have upgraded to lion and I still have the same problem. Can anyone help me? Thanks !

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

backup your browser profile, delete your browser profile, trying starting anew

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

hi thanks for the response care to elaborate on what you mean or how to do it? meanwhile I am googling but I aint getting exact matches on what you are saying

THANKS

5. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Svejk, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Svejk macrumors newbie

MTU size?

From the symptoms you describe it sounds like a problem I've come across in the past in various places. Did you change your internet provider, router, or any settings on your Mac recently? Any of these things could mean that your MTU setting has altered, and depending on what it's set to it could affect your ability to view certain sites.

Try this article for help on changing it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2532

Let me know if it helps :)

EDIT: A typical MTU setting is normally between 1300-1400

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I just did a clean install of lion from boot dvd...and same thing then i checked mtu, it was automatically 1500, so I changed manually to 1350..gonna test now. whats mtu anyways?

sorry did nothing to help....at all I am guessing since it from a clean install and there wasn't a problem before I am gonna check my router.. but I doubt... its those but gonna check anyways

8. Svejk macrumors newbie

Mtu

I haven't looked it up online, but I believe it's a Maximum Transmissible Unit, i.e. the maximum size of data packet that can be transmitted in one piece.

If you have it set too high or too low, then data can be fragmented in a way that makes the browser have problems rendering the page, for example I had problems with eBay when I first encountered it at home, and I've also experienced problems with dropped transactions in a work situation.

It can be set in the OS or at the router level, so it's worth trying both, but if you already tried it on the computer I guess it's less likely that a change to your router settings will work. Anyway - it was worth a shot!:rolleyes:

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the try, anyone else? I only have problems with hotmail on all accounts on all browsers and nothing else at all... WEIRD>....

10. andy603 macrumors newbie

same problem

FWIW, I'm having the same problem..not sure its exact same but its just with Hotmail on all my Macs running Snow Leopard and FF 5.01. Hotmail loads but doesn't auto refresh nor does it present popups when I scroll over a sender. Usually, when I scroll over sender it offers me options like 'find' or reply, etc, but all of a sudden none of my systems work. As far as I can tell its just with Hotmail.

I'll keep googling for a solution and if I find one will post here.

11. andy603 macrumors newbie

update

still not working but its not FF problem as I can reproduce it in both Safari and Chrome latest versions...clearly this has something to do with either OS update or possibly Java. I have been unable to find any solutions yet on the web...

12. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

thats what i thought too coz it happened on SnowL then I did a clean install of Lion same thing.. java updated and still nothing.. gmail no issues. And its across Chrome, Safari, FireF, on all accounts with hotmail. Weird huh.. I have stopped using web for the moment and using pop on the mail app (exchange only works on iphone) and iphone. Given up for the time being. Pls do let me know if you manage to find a solution.

13. Chimene macrumors newbie

Hi, I was just looking online to find the solution to the same problem. I am a Mac user and so is my BF. I have not done the latest update but he did, and now his Mac is not loading his Hotmail Calendar correctly. (Mine is working fine)
    I always wait a week or so after a new update comes out to see if any issues such as this arise. I think my BF has his computer set to auto update. He is getting a window popping up that says "we are having trouble locating your feed" We don't know how to fix this but, I think this problem will repair itself with in a week or so? (that's just my guess)
    If you find the answer to your problem please let me know.