hotmail won't send mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mac'nCheese, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I woke up this morning and my iphone 4 had no problem getting new hotmail through the mail app but it will not send any. The error message I get is: "The user name or password for "SMTP:firstname_lastname@hotmail.com@smtp.live.com" is incorrect."

Does anyone know what is happening or how I can fix this. Thank you in advance.

2. mr-kenneth-man macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation whereby I receive the same situation.

If I try and send it after failing (from outbox) I get the message "The username or password "(null)" is incorrect."

This is the first I've come across such messages!

I can't receive messages either, I tried sending a couple of emails from a Gmail account to my hotmail, whereby I can view them on my pc, but not on my iPhone!

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I keep googling for news and tips on this. I'll write back if anything pops up that is useful (Hey! That's what she said!) Seriously, I'll keep on top of it (I did it again)....

4. mr-kenneth-man macrumors newbie

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Hotmail doesn't have IMAP, only POP3, you are using EAS when setting up Microsoft Exchange in your iPhone which is not IMAP nor POP access, but EAS.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I guess I suck at googling. Thank you. The page and advice was great. I was never able to sync folders and now everything works. Thanks again.

7. mr-kenneth-man macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed a sudden drop in battery life since enabling push using hotmail?

My push settings are enabled for 1 hotmail and 1 gmail account whereby they both push the inbox only. Fetch is enabled every 30minutes.

I've been late for work twice this week. My phone is on charges all day, however is not on charge when i go to sleep. It is usually between 96-100% battery prior to going to sleep, however in the morning it's turned itself off and I have to charge it for it to turn on again. I check the usage in settings and the usage is close to that of standby - suggesting that it's been in use through the night.

I've not had an issue with it prior to enabling push for hotmail and have closed all apps in the springboard. My iPhone 4 is using iOS 4.1 and is not JB.

During the day, I take my phone off charge for an hours testing and keep note on the usage. The usage seems normal, my battery drops a few %, standby is about 1 hour and usage is about 10minutes.

Any suggestions on how to fix my problem? Any one else having similar issues?

I've changed a few settings and left push on for my gmail account, however have changed my hotmail to fetch every 30min.