Hotmail won't Work

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stemo99, Feb 20, 2008.

1. stemo99 macrumors newbie

I have the 8mb itouch and I cant get my hotmail acct to work. What I've tried is going to mail, entered "other" field, get a choice of imap, pop, exchange, I have no clue which to select but tried them all. entering data in the "incoming mail server" host??? I put in hotmail, then my user name and passwork. Outgoing mail server smtp, host name?? I entered hotmail.com then my user name and password. When I tried to save this acct information "cannot connect using ssl" displayed. It asked try without ssl??? when i tried that it displayed "imap acct verification failed, imap server hotmail.com. My imac mail works fine but i need to get this hotmail going. please help, thanks in advance.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

you can't set hotmail up this way. use the web browser.

there are ways detailed in the iPhone tread about work arounds, but simply put, Microsoft are annoying and wont let you access your hotmail account through the mail app.

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

4. stemo99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey eraserhead, thanks for the heads up about izymail. I tried it and it works great. I think that I'll suscribe to it for the annual $17.95 fee. Seems worth it. Thanks again.

5. mechler macrumors member

hotmail problems on Safari

Do any of you have problems accessing hotmail through the Safari browser?

At first it worked fine for me (like going to any other web page), but now when I try to log on, it just loops back to the login page. It doesn't tell me that I've entered something incorrectly - it just loops back to that page. Looking at the navigation bar, it seems like it's about to go to my messages...and then it doesn't. If I just keep trying to log in, sometimes it will work after the fourth or fifth time. I know I'm entering my password correctly. Very frustrating.

I've tried clearing the cookies, cache, etc. but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

6. g-boac macrumors 6502

Having the exact same problem here. This is caused by not specifically selecting SIGN OUT after you finish reading your mail. If you go to another website, or simply shut the phone off, after TBD time, your login will time out and you get into this loop cycle.

The solution on a Mac is going to your history and cookies, and clearing ANYTHING with a .mail.msn, hotmail, login.live, or msn.com name. I tried clearing the cookies, cache, and history on the iPhone, but also having no luck. I can also tell you that, despite clearing all this, my login name still remains on the hotmail page, so obviously, this isn't clearing everything.

Anyone, how do you COMPLETELY reset Safari on the iPhone?

thanks,
    Mark

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I don't use Hotmail so I'm not sure if this helps...but under Settings>Safari, you can clear the Cookies. Unfortunately, you'll have to clear all the Cookies though.

8. g-boac macrumors 6502

Kenneth - thanks for your suggestion. That works on Safari for any Mac, but DOES NOT work on Safari for iPhone. Something, somewhere, is still being retained by the program. My tipoff on this is that when I go to the http://www.hotmail.com login page, I still see my name in the userID box. This tells me that not everything has been cleared.

That, and the fact that the problem still persists. :)

So the question again, is how can I reset either Safari, or the entire iPhone, so that it thinks it is fresh out of the box, just as it came from Apple?

thanks,
    Mark

9. uninc54 macrumors newbie

Hotmail on iPhone is possible with TouchMail

There's a way to use your Hotmail account from your iPhone or iPod Touch:
    by using a web mail app called TouchMail at www.tm.comvalid.com.
    You go there, create a new account and add your mailboxes (it supports all including Hotmail).
    I actually use this web app to manage my emails accounts, it works very good.

10. puke macrumors regular

Microsoft is doing everything they can to stop hotmail from being used on a mac/ipod. Safari can't handle the hotmailpage very well and you will be stuck on the log in page where it says that it's not working to log in. Basicly, you can get izymail and pay for using your free email on your ipod/mac or you can simply (like I did 2 days ago) change from hotmail to gmail. Gmail is more easy-to-use and alot faster page + it works on mac perfectly. On Safari and in the application Mail on both macs and ipods.

Check my signature

11. hahahahha macrumors newbie

izymail is pretty good idea but i was wondering if there is anything else out there i kind do to sign in to that mail app with hotmail

please and thankyou

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

First of all an 8mb "iTouch" doesnt exist.. And whats an "iTouch"? Call it by its proper name - an iPod Touch..

Hotmail offers POP access which allows users to download their mail using their own client as opposed to viewing messages through their web interface.
    It's called Hotmail Plus... You have to pay something like $20.... If you would like to do this then ask Hotmail for POP settings and enter them into your iPod touch....

and yeh its 8gb... not 8mb...

13. looser macrumors newbie

In order to completely "reset" safari on your iTouch, you will need to go to safari and close all the windows. To do this tap the little box in the lower right corner. You will need to do this until you get a white page that say Untitled at the top. I also cleared the cache and cookies in the Safari settings and shut off allowing cookies and then turned them back on before trying to access hotmail through safari.

You may not be able to access other types of websites like blogger where you need to login in to see some ones blog or other websites that require a password unless you reset safari.

People on forums are people too. They have feelings too.

14. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

Strange, when I entered my Hotmail address it filled in all the fields for me and it works fine. Oh yes, and the Incoming mail server should be pop3.live.com, the Outgoing mail server SMTP should be smtp.live.com and the username is your email and the pass the same as your acct.

15. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Probably because this thread is OVER 2 YEARS OLD and hotmail didn't work with POP3 back then.