Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
I have an annoying problem: i can't check my emails (hotmail) on my new mac! I've downloaded firefox and then i still can't make it work.
I can get onto the hotmail-page where you enter your emailaddress and password, but when i logg in it just keeps on loading and loading and mentions a problem with the server. But i can get on my hotmail just fine with my windows desktop...
Can anybody help me?

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
What do you mean, try FF again? like uninstall and reinstall it? because it still doesn't work

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I can log into hotmail.com and check my emails using Safari.

I do remember there was people having the same issue a few months ago - do a search and you might find that thread.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Download httpmail and use Mail.app instead. Much better. Clear out your cookies on FF and try again.

Good idea - but your response was so vague I doubt any newbie would have a clue what you are on about.

Apple's default Mail application doesn't support Hotmail, however there is a 3rd party plugin you can download that allows you to do so. Using Mail is much more convenient than using a web browser - you get alerted right away if you have Mail and you don't have to wait ages for your browser to log into the Hotmail website.

Get it here. Remember to quit Mail before installing.

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
I thought apple introduced a hotfix to Mail in leopard that deliberately disabled HTTPmail due to problems?

ok i installed to program and tried trough MAIL, but hotmail still does not react. When i'm using the network at school, then i can get into hotmail using this computer, even in safari! but at home it doesn't seem to work. Safari tells me that the server is not reacting. FF also mentions problems with the server...

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I thought apple introduced a hotfix to Mail in leopard that deliberately disabled HTTPmail due to problems?

Nope. Daniel (the guy who created it) had to update it for it to work with Leopard because they changed certain things.

But he had it working within a couple of weeks of Leopard being released.

Works a treat for me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
ok i installed to program and tried trough MAIL, but hotmail still does not react. When i'm using the network at school, then i can get into hotmail using this computer, even in safari! but at home it doesn't seem to work. Safari tells me that the server is not reacting. FF also mentions problems with the server...

Who's your ISP and what router are you using?

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
Internet Service Provider, and yeh the router your wireless thingy.

I will check, but i doubt it could have anything to do with that. I use the same provider and the same wireless internet upstairs on my PC Desktop and on that one I do have access to hotmail?
EDIT: i find some websites just keep loading and loading without any change ever... can anybody please help?

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
I have downloaded and install HTTPmail.

Created an account by following the "Readme"

After created i click on "Get Mail" it say "Connection Failed".

Why ??

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    26 KB · Views: 81

jamin.

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
It says for me an error, something about upgrading or something because Outlook Express dosn't support mail client or whatever..whats the problem?

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I had this problem once on an iMac.. you may need to update your bookmark. Also, don't go to hotmail.com, go through live.com (or mail.live.com) to find hotmail. This should work.

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
i just tried live.com & mail.live.com

but i still cant receive my hotmails in :apple:Mail.

Can some kind soul please guide me thru my night mares ? =(

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 67

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
i just tried live.com & mail.live.com

but i still cant receive my hotmails in :apple:Mail.

Can some kind soul please guide me thru my night mares ? =(

I highly recommend NOT using Hotmail, and using something that actually conforms to open industry standards like POP or IMAP, like Gmail.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Try resetting safari and emptying your cache and cookies.. I have this problem with sites occasionally.

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
Try resetting safari and emptying your cache and cookies.. I have this problem with sites occasionally.
I tried doing that, I called the apple helpdesk for 35 minutes today and they couldn't help me. I've reset everything that can be reset. I added another user to see if it was something i've downloaded or so, and it still doesn't work. I've noticed it does the same thing when i want to log in on the apple website! so this is the problem: when i try to log in on hotmail or the apple website it loades for a while and then says "REQUEST TIMEOUT Server timed out while waiting for browsers request" . It does this ONLY at my house, at school i have access to those websites. And all the PC's on the network in my house don't have this problem...
please help

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
You know what the annoying thing is? I started paying for hotmail plus ( i think that's the name ) about 4 years ago, last year i wanted to end the paying, because the free one had an inbox large enough. I tried ending the payment, but the website just sent me in loops, so i'm stuck with it for another year! it costs me 20 euro so about 30 dollars/year! Microsoft a**holes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.