Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
From over at daring fireball...

Yes, this works fine. In fact, while carrying around both my own AT&T iPhone 4 and the Verizon iPhone 4 review unit I got from Apple, I was able to use FaceTime from my iPhone over the Verizon iPhone’s hotspot — and it worked well.

This is where the real problem comes in. The carriers. If facetime works over a hotspot and then over 3G, it should damn well work over just 3G.

Yet people complain that Apple is holding back tech for the next announcement rather than making the best phone or pad they can. Someone is indeed holding iOS devices back, and it ain't Apple....

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
We already knew it was a carrier limitation, not an Apple limitation. Jailbreak apps let you use Facetime over 3G and it works just fine...

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
As the poster above me said, it is not a limitation in place by Apple, it has always been the carriers. Steve even said at WWDC that they had to get things worked out with the carriers. My guess is, since FaceTime over 3G uses a buttload of data (I believe it's about 3Mb/min) that Apple wanted fair pricing for a "FaceTime" plan, but carriers wanna charge people. Apple has been known to stick up for the consumers, not the carriers, but again that is my guess and opinion, not based on any fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.