HotSpot feature to be extra?

eninety

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Verizon online chat i had today:

"Kevin: is verizon charging extra for the personal hotspot feature for the new ipad?

Lasina: Yes. You will need to add an additional Mobile Hotspot data plan to provide internet connection for up to 5 more wireless devices. At this time, we have not been provided with the data plan options for that device

Kevin: okay. thank you"

Sadface...

ant69

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
will be interesting to see what AT&T's stance on ipad tethering is too.... though i presume they would charge too :(

Ant

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
will be interesting to see what AT&T's stance on ipad tethering is too.... though i presume they would charge too :(

Ant
It's $50 for 5GB plus tethering, according to their site. Unless I misunderstood it.

----------

Nearly every carrier charges extra for this. Not all, but almost all.
In the past, carriers didn't care to charge for tethering, but since AT&T started to do it for the iPhone, a lot of carriers followed the same practice.
It's been like a huge step backwards for the users.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
i don't think they will charge since they don't charge for their current lte tablets. the article posted above also mentions that.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
At one point I had the personal hotspot feature activated on my iPhone 4. At that time I ran my phone and MBP off the hotspot, and I'm assuming that I could run my iPad 2 off it ( I didn't have tyne iPad at that point) as the Verizon hotspot allows tethering to 5 devices. I paid $20/month, with 2GB of data.

However, if I remember correctly, email and web surfing did not come out of the 2 GB...those functions were "free", as in not using any of the 2GB.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
You are now chatting with 'Tamekia'
Dustin: I was thinking of buying one of the new iPad's. I have a question about the data plans.
Tamekia: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Dustin: Is there an extra charge for the hotspot feature on the iPad plans?
Tamekia: I'd be happy to assist you.
Tamekia: Yes it's included in the data plan cost.
:)