HotSpot feature to be extra?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eninety, Mar 8, 2012.

1. eninety macrumors newbie

Verizon online chat i had today:

"Kevin: is verizon charging extra for the personal hotspot feature for the new ipad?

Lasina: Yes. You will need to add an additional Mobile Hotspot data plan to provide internet connection for up to 5 more wireless devices. At this time, we have not been provided with the data plan options for that device

Kevin: okay. thank you"

Sadface...

2. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

will be interesting to see what AT&T's stance on ipad tethering is too.... though i presume they would charge too :(

Ant

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Nearly every carrier charges extra for this. Not all, but almost all.

4. dffdce macrumors member

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It's $50 for 5GB plus tethering, according to their site. Unless I misunderstood it.

----------

In the past, carriers didn't care to charge for tethering, but since AT&T started to do it for the iPhone, a lot of carriers followed the same practice.
    It's been like a huge step backwards for the users.

6. bidwalj macrumors 65816

i don't think they will charge since they don't charge for their current lte tablets. the article posted above also mentions that.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

At one point I had the personal hotspot feature activated on my iPhone 4. At that time I ran my phone and MBP off the hotspot, and I'm assuming that I could run my iPad 2 off it ( I didn't have tyne iPad at that point) as the Verizon hotspot allows tethering to 5 devices. I paid $20/month, with 2GB of data.

However, if I remember correctly, email and web surfing did not come out of the 2 GB...those functions were "free", as in not using any of the 2GB.

8. astral125 macrumors 6502

:)