Hotspot not discoverable at all sometimes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robertpetry, Feb 17, 2012.

1. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Hi all,

I have had a strange problem with my AT@T mobile hotspot on my iPhone 4. Basically the iPhone does not show up on other devices as a hotspot, even when turned on. Even when turned on, then off, then back on. Even when I turn it off, reboot the iPhone and then turn it back on.

Neither my iPad nor my Macbook Air can see the hotspot.

But this only happens maybe 10% of the time. The rest of the time my iPad and MBA see and connect right up to the iPhone when I turn on Hotspot. And when it happens, the problem seems to cure itself after an hour or so.

It happened in a restaurant today. I rebooted the phone twice and the MBA once. Still it never showed up. I got home and tried it a half hour later and viola, it shows right up on the list of networks.

I don't get it.

2. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Must be a big bug in the iOS maybe?
    Try restoring it

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Don't you have to be in Personal Hotspot in Settings for your iPhone to be discoverable?

4. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Yes you do. I am in Hotspot turning it on and off. Turning on and off all wireless or just wifi. Rebooting. Nothing seems to solve the problem but time. No idea why.

I could try restoring. I hate restoring... :(

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I say give it a couple more days see if anyone here knows how to fix it. If not, then restore it. Can't you try restoring from a backup? That means you won't lose anything.

6. robertpetry, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I just restored from my backup. Maybe that will fix it.

I was just hoping someone had some idea what the problem was so I could fix it. I was also wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem?

I'll be back if the restore from backup doesn't work!

:)