Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I’m currently using my iPhone as hotspot for my iPad. It basically works (quite well, actually). However, if I’m not using the iPad for just a couple of minutes it - always! - disconnects (or gets disconnected) from the iPhone. I then have to turn off the hotspot functionality on the iPhone and turn it on again so that the iPad connects again and is connected to the internet again.

I had this happen before with Verizon and have it now happen with T-Mobile - I’m therfore sure it’s not the network or the carrier. It’s very most likely also not the iPad as I had the same happening with my MacBook Pro.

Is this normal, or is there something that I can do to prevent this behavior or to determine the time before the iPhone shuts the connection? Thanks.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I’m currently using my iPhone as hotspot for my iPad. It basically works (quite well, actually). However, if I’m not using the iPad for just a couple of minutes it - always! - disconnects (or gets disconnected) from the iPhone. I then have to turn off the hotspot functionality on the iPhone and turn it on again so that the iPad connects again and is connected to the internet again.

I had this happen before with Verizon and have it now happen with T-Mobile - I’m therfore sure it’s not the network or the carrier. It’s very most likely also not the iPad as I had the same happening with my MacBook Pro.

Is this normal, or is there something that I can do to prevent this behavior or to determine the time before the iPhone shuts the connection? Thanks.
Pretty normal. Hotspot is a battery eater so it’s a little hyper about disconnecting when idle.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.