Hotspot on iPad w/iOS7 takes forever to show up

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dmylrea, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Never had much of a problem with iOS 6 and Personal Hotspot on my iPad. After enabling it, within 30 seconds or so it would show up as an available WiFi in the list.

Now, with iOS7, it takes FOREVER. Meaning 3-5 minutes, after turning off PH and turning it back on. I refresh the list of available Wifi's on my Macbook, but my iPad isn't in the list. Refresh over and over. Not in the list. Turn off PH and turn back on. Wait. Finally, it pops up.

Seems like way too much work when it should come on within a few seconds of enabling it.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This isn't new. It's been like that since iOS 6. Sometimes you have to toggle it on/off multiple times for it to work properly.

3. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Yes, I said it seemed worse, not that it was a new symptom.

I'm on vacation now and stuck in a house with unusable (slow) internet, so I am using my Hotspot and LTE more than ever ($$$) just to get by.

It just seems worse than before.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Try in and out of Airplane mode. That helps too.

5. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Put the phone in airplane mode, count to 5, then take it out of airplane mode. I found this makes the hotspot get picked up in less time.

6. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68020

dmylrea

On what? The iPad itself or the device trying to connect to the iPad's Hotspot?

I'm using my Macbook Pro to connect to the Hotspot, not my iPhone.

It seems I need to turn off/on a couple times for it to work. The off/on slider switch for PH should be a three position switch-- off/off still/on. :)

7. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I'm experiencing the same things as you.....bad under iOS 6, much worse under iOS 7. What works the best for me is that I turn off the wifi on my iPad and the hotspot on my iPhone 5, then turn them both back on at the same time. Still not perfect, but better.

My old HTC Thunderbolt used to automatically connect to my iPad within seconds of walking into the room. Every time.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Airplane mode on your phone.

9. ColdCase, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Toggling airplane mode doesn't do it for me. But as noted on another thread, loitering on the hotspot settings screen after toggling the hotspot off and on seems to kick things sufficiently in the butt. It seems the iOS 7 hotspot remains in a more discoverable mode when the settings screen is active.

An annoying bug. I'm new to hot spotting and am disappointed to hear this issue has been going on for so long.

I have this issue every time one of the devices connected to the hot spot goes to sleep or goes out of range. The device cannot find the hotspot again unless I toggle power on the hotspot or loiter on the settings screen for the few seconds it takes the devices to discover the hotspot.

10. toomuchadam macrumors newbie

toomuchadam

RE: Hotspot on iPad w/iOS7 takes forever to show up

I have the same trouble - takes forever for my Personal Hotspot to show up on my list of available Wi-Fi devices. No solid, definable fixes for this problem are evident. Toggling the phone awake from sleep mode, accessing the Personal Hotspot screen, deactivating and reactivating the Personal Hotspot switch - all have some success rate but nothing foolproof. Would be really nice to see a fix considering I can see a long list of wi-fi networks not so close to me but the Personal Hotspot device sitting right next to my MBP? Nowhere to be found.

11. bvj macrumors newbie

I've been having recurring delays and difficulty getting a Surface Pro 3 to see my recently replaced iPhone 5s (i.e., all new equipment.) I just spent 30 minutes trying various things including power cycling, deleting "remembered" devices, etc. But once I put the phone in my pocket, it immediately showed up as an available device on the Surface. BTW, the Surface listed many other nearby hotspots the entire time. I'm wondering if the signal strength due to proximity is causing problems. BTW, my iPhone shows with the greatest signal strength in the list of available hotspots.