Hotspot Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chen.shamgar.3, Mar 1, 2016.

1. chen.shamgar.3 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am on vacation with my Family in the Caribbean at the moment. I am a Canadian with Rogers as my cell provider.

I am trying to allow my Daughter to hook up her iPhone 5s (no sim) to my 6+.

I set it all up with a password and my phone is clearly visible on her iPhone 5s... HOWEVER.. It won't connect no matter what.
    Password is 100% correct it just won't work.

A few times it told me I had to call Rogers to enable Hotspotting and when I called they reset some "ADN".. and made me reboot. Still no go.

I just called them again and am finally told "Hotspotting will not work when you are roaming"..

My question to you guys is... Is this correct?

You can't operate a hotspot while you're on LTE Netherlands roaming down south?.

Thank you

2. chen.shamgar.3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good morning everyone,

Well,just as an FYI issue clarified.

I wrongfully assumed that using an iPhone as a hotspot with another iPhone was a simple phone to phone connection.. Well, little did I know.

Apparently, there is much more that goes on behind the scenes within the phone offering the hot spot. Point being, it does not always work while roaming. Ip addresses are apparently registered and the local cell provider may or may not allow tethering. In my case in Turks and Caicos this isn't allowed. If it works (which it did for 5-10 minutes once) it's just due to a system update delay. But as soon as system caught on, it died.