Hotspot Shield alternative working under Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vladobizik, May 1, 2013.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I'm working with multiple iterations of Windows in Parallels and in my instalation of the ancient Windows 2000, I would like to use VPN software, such as Hotspot Shield. Is there any alternative, or a still functional older version of such software, that still works on Windows 2000?

Maybe it would have been a better idea to ask this question on a Windows-oriented forum, but you guys are the best community I know.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can make a VPN in Network preferences in OS X, since you work in VM the connection goes through the VPN on OS X so no need for VPN (AFAIK).

There is Hotspotshield for Mac of course but it is not needed at all since you can do this in Network preferences.

3. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware of that. And how does OS X know to which servers to connect? What service does it use? I thought the use of sofware such as Hotspot Shield was about connecting to their proprietary servers via the software. But I'm a total VPN dummy.

I like using VPN only within the virtualized Windows installation, while using my normal internet connection in the OS X host, it works well, but if there's a way to set it up directly in OS X, I could live without this convenience.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In the below screenshot you see how you can create a VPN in OS X, before this popup window shows you have to click the + button in the lower left of the Network Preferences.

I don't know too much about Hotspotshield and you might find their server settings on their site.
    You could easily find more about VPN when doing a google search, free VPN's are also available, VPNBook and JustfreeVPN are 2 of them.
    There are tutorials on how to on their sites.
    If you use OS's like windows in Parallels all the traffic goes through the VPN connection on the OS X side.

Attached Files:

5. vladobizik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much for the explanation. I will look into it.