Hotter Macbook Pro CPU after hard drive replacement = me confused!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisa107, Jun 2, 2009.

1. chrisa107 macrumors member

So I just installed the new Seagate 7200.4 500gb drive into my Santa Rosa Macbook Pro. Everything seems hotter after the install except for the hard drive itself, which under the left palm rest just feels slightly warm to the touch (as the old stock HD used to). I'm fairly certain I performed the install without any physical mixups, and it seems that even if I did make a mistake, the heat sinks/sensors/fans/etc aren't really near where the hard drive is so it seems very unlikely that I would have messed something up.

I don't have any objective comparison to the temp with the old hard drive - the CPU now seems to be hovering at about 55-70 C under idle to moderate usage with the hard drive itself at about 45 C. The top edge of the bezel (at the monitor hinge) is burning hot, as is the back of the machine and right above the RAM slots.

Anyone have any suggestions on what may have happened? From the reviews and other forum posts it doesn't seem that the drive itself runs much hotter than stock models, and again, it itself doesn't feel that warm. I doubt that upgrading from 5400 to 7200RPM would dramatically make everything else hotter. Or, does anyone have any suggestions of what I can diagnose without resulting to putting the old hard drive back in just to see if my subjective feeling of the computer being hotter actually IS true? Thanks!

2. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I just upgraded to the Seagate 500GB, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache as well.

With standard web browsing and such, CPU is at 50 and GPU Diode is at 56 Celsius. SMCFanControl is set to a minimum of 2500 RPM.

This is a SR 2.4 late 2007 MBP 15".

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Maybe you could ask for owners with models identical models to yours that kept their stock drives to post their temps.