Hour 11 of iOS 5 Application Development

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by kkaiser, Jul 23, 2012.

1. kkaiser macrumors newbie

kkaiser

In chapter 11 of this up-till-now really great book I'm having a problem. On page 330, under 'Creating the Popover Segue' it instructs to control-drag from the Edit button to the editor in Interface Builder. Then to to choose "Popover" from the storyboard segue type. But that is not one of the options.

My options are;
    Push
    Modal
    Custom

Selecting any one of those does not let me pick "Popover" from style later on. Does anyone know how I get by this point in the book?

Thanks in advance.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Which book, exactly? Title, author, edition: all help.

3. kkaiser, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

kkaiser thread starter macrumors newbie

kkaiser

Book Title

Sams Teach Yourself
    iOS 5
    Application Development
    in 24 Hours

By: John Ray

This book says it covers iOS 5, Xcode 4.2+

First Printing December 2012

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Really?

Please post the exact version of Xcode you're using.

5. kkaiser thread starter macrumors newbie

kkaiser

Hmmmm.

OK, make that December 2011. Sorry,

I am using version Version 4.3.2 (4E2002) of Xcode.

6. 1458279 Suspended

I have that book, but haven't gone thru it yet and haven't looked into storyboards.

I'd suggest learning popovers separately from storyboards. A while back I started learning how to do complete interfaces without Interface Builder. If nothing else, it gives insight into how things work under the hood, and can be useful in tracking down problems later.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9284600/ios-popovers-as-menu-tutorial

Here's an example using storyboard

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8249085/how-to-create-popovers-with-a-storyboard-in-xcode-4-2

Edit: one other note, things in tech change quickly, the books usually cover a specific version, so this is a problem (challenge) that won't go away.

7. kkaiser thread starter macrumors newbie

kkaiser

Buying the Book

I bought the book so I could learn from the book. While I'm sure your advise to learn from other sources is very sound, I need a bases to start from. Hence the book.

If you have the book, and already know how to do what I want to do, maybe you could post a "hears how its done".

Thanks....

8. 1458279 Suspended

I do have the book, but I'm working thru another book right now. Also, I haven't even started to look at storyboard.

I understand your point, however, you will have similar trouble with every book.
    I use Xcode 4, I've used books that were for Xcode 3. I take the concepts and figure out how to make it work, I see this as a part of problem solving and a part of programming.

Books have mistakes, versions of things add/move/replace things. That menu item might be in a different version or it might be a mistake in the book.

Didn't the link I posted address the problem? I think the posts show a way with and without storyboard.

9. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

You sure when you picked your target for your project, you picked iPad? Popover is not available for iphone.

10. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Also make sure you're building against at least the iOS 4 SDK, and your deployment target is >= iOS 4.0.

11. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

You should update to Xcode 4.3.3.

When I control-drag from a button in a storyboard and release the mouse I see Push, Modal, Popover, Custom, Replace.