Hourly 'beachball' issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2009
    Have my 13" uMBP for a week and love it. Upgraded to 4BG RAM and 250HDD.

Seems like every hour or so, I get a beach ball and everything stops, iTunes, Entourage, browser. I am thinking there is some indexing going on (Spotlight) but I have no clue.

Is anyone else experiencing this and if so, what to do about it. It is kinda driving me crazy.
  2. sammich macrumors 601

Sep 26, 2006
    Do you have Time Machine set to back up? How long does it last? TM shouldn't be causing this really.

But in any case, open Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities), and try to bring it to the front when the beachball-ing occurs.
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Open up console.app and see if you can find what's going on.
  4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2009
    I have both console and activity monitor open so I will see what it going on in about 45 minutes.

I am thinking it is spotlight or something, TM is not even configured so I know it is not that.
  5. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2007
    Did you install firmware 1.7? If so check the thread about the potential issues that brings.
  6. gario1 macrumors newbie

Jul 2, 2009
    I've had this problem on my MBP13 as well. After about 30 minutes of use I get the beachball issure about once every 2 minutes.. very frustrating and completly destorys any workflow that I may have going on.

I don't remember if it was happening pre EFI update, it seems like it may have started just before it.
  7. daver.cl macrumors member

Jun 10, 2009
    try resetting your PRAM (cmd+option+p+r at boot, wait for the second chime and release)

if it's the 1.7 firmware update, doing this should address your problem.
  8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2002
    Boston, MA
    hmm i have this issue as well sometimes. I thought it was firefox.

for the record i did install a 500gb western digital HD before the firmware upgrade and I've only been experiencing this after the firmware update

I have also already reset my PRAM
  9. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2006
    I have this issue as well. New 2.53GHz 15". I also installed a new 500GB 7200RPM drive right before installing the new firmware.

Also of note, my Geekbench score is consistantly 20-30 points slower using the new larger, faster hard drive than it was using the stock drive. This could be due to the fact my drive was mostly empty when I was using the stock drive, and now I am half full. However, I still have 255 free... so this shouldn't really be the case. Odd...
  10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2009
    The Rotten Apple
    Same issue. I upgraded to 1.7 and didn't have the problem before. Mine lasts for about 30 seconds though. I sometimes get the software update icon too (I think that's it) with the circle divided into fourths with a blue / light blue color scheme...
  11. suekitch macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2009
    I was getting this on the same machine. It seems that resetting the PRAM as mentioned further above sorted it for me, so I hope it helps you guys out too :)

I was getting the problem every few minutes and the beachball/pinwheel would stay up for 30-60 seconds. Mainly happening with Safari though I was having issues with GarageBand last night; made me think that maybe my 2GB wasn't as useful as I'd hoped.

I've never done the PRAM thing before, being a relative Mac newbie, so I was a bit wary, but yeah, no worries!!
  12. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2009
    i reset the PRAM and monitoring if it happens again..
  13. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2007
    Do you have an external hard drive hooked up? I had the same issue.
  14. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2009
    no external hard drive connected. Zapped PRAM and it has not happened since. Still keeping an eye on it however. Happens when I am running iTunes mostly, not running it now however.