Hourly disconnects?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frannbug, Nov 23, 2011.

1. frannbug macrumors member

Every hour HardwareGrowler reports this almost identical sequence of events, as seen in this summary from 3.30am this morning until midday:

Volume Mounted Today 03.30
    Volume 1

Volume Mounted Today 08.00, 09.00, 10.01, 11.00, 12.01
    Volume 2

Ethernet deactivated Today 08.10, 09.09, 10.10, 11.09, 12.10
    Interface: en0

IP address acquired Today 08.10, 09.10, 10.10, 11.09, 12.10
    New primary IP: xxx.xxx.x.xxx (Private)

IP address released Today 08.10, 09.09, 10.10, 11.09, 12.10
    No IP address now

Volume Unmounted Today 08.11, 09.10, 10.11, 11.10, 12.11
    Volume 2

Airport connected Today 08.11, 09.11, 10.12, 11.11, 12.12
    Joined network
    SSID: Xxxxx
    BSSID: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

IP address acquired Today 08.11, 09.11, 10.12, 11.11, 12.12

IP address acquired Today 08.11, 09.11, 10.12, 11.11, 12.12

Ethernet activated Today 08.13, 09.12, 10.13, 11.12, 12.13
    Interface: en0
    Media 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>

IP address acquired Today 08.13, 09.12, 10.13, 11.12, 12.13
    Volume Mounted Today 12.38
    Recovery HD

Volume Unmounted Today 12.38
    Recovery HD

I have replaced data with possible security issues with the letter 'x', but the IP address is the same every time, as are the SSID and BSSID numbers. As you can see from the indented part, my ethernet modem disconnects at approximately ten minutes past every hour during the daytime, there is a flurry of activity as AirPort tries to reconnect and then the modem reconnects a couple of minutes later.

I installed Lion around the same time that this started but I can't be sure whether that has anything to do with it. I have Chronosync schedules running throughout the day which probably explains volume 2 being mounted and dismounted - I guess it is programmed to go to sleep after ten minutes of inactivity. However as far as I'm aware I never have anything scheduled for ten past the hour that could trigger this. Anyone anything like this before that could help solve my mystery?

2. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

Chronosync is disconnecting me!

Well I thought it might be worth ruling out Chronosync by simply switching it off. As I didn't have any scheduled backups at ten minutes past the hour I didn't think it would make any difference.

That was two days ago and I haven't had a single disconnect since.

The problem is that I still want to use Chronosync to back up various media disks on my system. Why is it disconnecting my modem and what can I do to stop such behaviour while still backing up my stuff?

3. Klaasdj macrumors newbie

Hallo frannbug,

I noticed your message with respect to lost connections in combination with Chronosync.
    I just experience the same problem, but in a more or less other way.
    I use Chronosync for a few months as the utility I used to backup my files is no longer available. (Silverkeeper from LaCie -> no support for Lion)
    Decided to use Chronosync.
    BUT when copying data from my internal harddisk to my external NAS (Synology DS1511+) over wired Ethernet connection I get lost connections.
    By just copying using the Finder no problems.
    I am now testing Data Backup 3 and everything runs fine (and even speadier).
    Perhaps there is a flaky bug in Chronosync????

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. frannbug thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, chown33. I have found their question form after quite a lot of searching and a message that read:

"Phone
    We do not offer phone support. Why? It is very costly. Not in long distance charges, but in the time it takes to handle problems individually. We would have to charge for this service or raise the price of our products. We do not want to do either."

Not that I was seeking 'phone support since I am in the UK but isn't it surprising how the more you pay for some software, the less likely the company is to offer individual support for it? And having paid for both Chronosync and the Agent, I am reluctant to look for other solutions, Klaasdj. Let's hope they can finally pick this one up and sort it out!

6. cashel macrumors member

While phone support is not offered for ChronoSync, email support is offered, and we will work to resolve your issue as quickly and best we can. You can fill out the form at http://econtechnologies.com/pages/support/support_question.php to generate a support ticket. I apologize for any confusion in trying to find it.

In the interest of keeping things organized and less cluttered, can those of you experiencing issues with ChronoSync and/or ChronoAgent please send me an email to 'jhartigan@econtechnologies.com' with a description of the problem and the steps leading up to the problem? I'd also like a screen grab of the Setup Panel of the saved sync document experiencing the issue and a compressed copy of the sync document log file (found by clicking the Log button in the sync document toolbar).

I'd also like a screen grab of the Options Panel showing the Special File/Folder Handling section.

What are the targets, how are they connected, and how are they formatted? What version of ChronoSync/Agent are you running, and what version of OS X are you running?