Hourly iPod Touch Use Costs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4DThinker, Aug 3, 2008.

?

Hours per day you use your iPod Touch

1. .5 hours or less

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. .51 to 3 hours

34 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. 3.1 to 6 hours

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. 6.1 or more

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm just curious. I have other players, but none with wifi. I'll pick up my Touch off and on each day to check email, weather, and the occasional web site. I might even play a game. Yet a careful look at my Touch addiction reveals an average of only 30ish minutes a day. Having spent $330 already for it (8gb + 2 paid updates, not counting tax), and anticipating 2 years of life (although it may be one if the new Touch has bluetooth) that means my Touch enjoyment costs me 365 days x 2 years x .5 hours per day, divided into $330. That's 90.4 cents an hour if I did the math right.

My conclusion? Get more games. Play more with my iPod Touch. :D

How much does YOUR Touch cost to play with?

2. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

As of right now, without adding the itunes music purchases but including apps, 8 cents an hour.
    But I use mine as a PDA at work and at home. Great device.

3. jne381 macrumors regular

I generally use my Touch on my commute in the morning and at night for listening to music. So that is about 2 hours right there. In addition to that, I will check email or random things on the internet while I am at school. to actually do these things doesn't really take that much time though, but it is still useful. It would be hard to quantify this because the alternative would be to go to the computer lab, or carry my computer with me. Two things that are not so appealing if I don't have to do them.

When I go to parties, my ipod always gets picked to play on random. That is generally a few extra hours a week. I will also pull up a location on maps if I am going someplace new, and leave it there for reference as I travel. Though I may refer to the map a few times, it is there constantly. So does that count for only a few seconds, or for the entire travel time.

The address book has help me out of more than a few jams as well. I don't put everything in my phone, and certainly not all the info in address book, and I am not going to carry an actual address book around.

In the end, I don't think you formula estimating the cost per hour of your Touch accurately reflects the usefulness and value of the device.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not counting listening to music and watching movies/TV shows I use my Touch about 2-3 hours per day for:
    - Contacts
    - Calendar
    - Calculators
    - Some games
    - Some web browsing

I will be adding ToDo functionality. Probably via OmniFocus. This will up my usage a bit.

Love the Touch. May be converting to an iPhone in the future.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

None, because I didn't choose to buy the iPhone's handicapped cousin.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, I supposed I would reply that way if I could only have 16GB of storage. :p

Looking forward to the day the iPhone has 32GB of storage.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay, I didn't was the buy the iPhone's fatter, less-skilled, handicapped cousin.

I want better battery life and a GOOD camera on my next iPhone purchase. Until then, the original 8 gig is what I'm sticking with.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

BTW, I hope you knew I was teasing with my last post.

Uh, you might want to compare again. The Touch is much thinner than the iPhone 3G.

Personally, I think that the iPhone 3G camera is fine for it's intended purpose.

As for battery life issues, you can always get one of these.

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

And besides, the Touch isn't a low-end iPhone. It's a premium iPod.

Hence iPod Touch.

10. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

For consistency, only count the time you're engaged using your iPod Touch. You can count listening without looking at it, but not just leaving it on while doing something else.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I can't be certain here, but I think Tyler was actually using "fatter" in reference to the double memory capacity of your Touch to the iPhone (as if having more memory on a device equates to a human being obese). Clearly, he's reaching. I am glad he likes his iPhone though.

As for me, I love my 16GB Touch and I'm still glad I didn't shell out for the iPhone with it's expensive data plan. I may get an iPhone eventually but the only thing I miss at the moment is the 3G. That said my battery life is much better without it. ;)

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you count listening, then add about 1-2 hours per day to my average.

I see.

Yep, he must really be reaching.

I was thinking more in terms of physical comparison.

Still on the fence regarding the iPhone.

Love my 32GB Touch. Very handy.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

More dense might have worked better, but I agree it's a reach. It sounded much better in my head, but then again, I'm recovering from surgery so plenty of things sound good before they're written down.

I'm actually surprised at how much thinner the Touch is than the original iPhone. Those phone guts take up lots of space!

14. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

41 cents a day, which translates into 84 cents an hour if I use it for 3 hours daily.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uhhh...

I'm no math major, but 41 cents a day doesn't compute to 84 cents an hour, if used for three hours a day.

Might want to check your numbers there.

16. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Exactly.

The iPod touch is Apple's flagship iPod at the moment.

17. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

Touch acts as my laptop right now and my trusty Thinkpad is just a desktop replacement. That sums at about 3 hours a day of iTouch usage. Hard to imagine any better portable machine than iTouch when comparing price/features.

18. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

:eek:

Lets try this again:

$450 spent overall, including apps, music, and updates.

$450/about 210 days that I have had it= $2.14 cost per day

I can't get farther than that lol, whenever I get a number, its unreasonably high :confused:

19. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm really confused about the purpose of this thread, now. The poll I get; it's this $X.XX/day stuff I'm confused about.

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

He's trying see how much people would pay for there iPod touch through hourly use, yeah it's pretty pointless because in the end we all pay the cost of the Touch up front. And he's a teacher ;) they like figuring that sh*t out

21. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

My mum is a teacher as well. I understand! haha...

22. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Yup 2 teachers in my family :D

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

You remind me of one of those kids that never got the cool stuff like the kid next door so you sat and griped about how bad it was to make you feel better about not having one.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

25. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Looks like about 2.33 cents :p That's assuming I did the calculation right, though...I've only had my touch for like 90 days so far, and I use it an average of an hour and a half or so per day. That's just an estimate, though, as some days, I only use it for like ten minutes, whereas back when I had it jailbroken, I would use it for up to 5-8 hours a day as a music aid (band/pianist/drummer/guitarist) and as a gameboy and SNES. I figured it came to about 1.5 hours a day. :p