Hours of research yet this problem can't be solved..(restore & avoid auto upgrade)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KickIt, Jan 30, 2011.

1. KickIt macrumors newbie

I've got a big problem. My Iphone 3GS (3.1.2 and baseban 05.11.07) has been having battery charging problems. It would be plugged in and it wouldn't charge. Then randomly one time it turned back on and it was 100% and worked fine until it went down again and I tried recharging again but to no avail. Now it is absolutely stuck in Recovery Mode (on start up showing picture to connect to itunes). I tried resetting, etc and its still stuck there.

I read up for hours researching a problem and different avenues and almost found success until I ran into this specific problem. Since my phone wouldnt turn on at all, I connected it to my computer and put it in DFU mode and itunes recognized it. I was about to restore it until the message said along the lines "Are you sure you want to restore your iphone? All the media will be erased and restored with APPLE'S LATEST SOFTWARE UPGRADE."

The next upgrade is iOS 4.2.1 which cannot be unlocked (or extremely risky) and I need to avoid this because I need my phone to still be unlocked. How can I restore the factory settings (3.1.2 and same baseband) without getting the upgrade as well? Or can I restore with 4.1 and somehow keep my current baseband or one that is unlockable, which is still better than 4.2.1 for me?

I basically have to avoid the 4.2.1 upgrade because it comes with the new baseband, but have no clue how to fix this with phone stuck in recovery. Also my computer isn't recognizing the phone unless I put it in DFU, and it also isn't being recognized by TinyUmbrella so I can exit the recovery mode.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@KickIt, do you know which SHSH blobs you have saved so far? You can "upgrade" to any version that you have blobs saved for. For 4.2.1 you don't need blobs saved, but you don't want to upgrade to that due to the baseband.

What does Tiny Umbrella indicate that you have saved? Also, while you were on 3.1.2 did you periodically visit Cydia?

The safest thing to do is restore to 3.1.2 and get Cydia working. This way you can find out which blobs you have saved, do some research on which base band versions are paired with which firmware, then upgrade to the version you want.

To restore to 3.1.2 you need 3.1.2 SHSH blobs saved. Open up Tiny Umbrella and see what it has saved for you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Download Tinyumbrella and find out if you have any SHSH blobs saved on cydias server.
    Then we can go from there.
    If you dont have any saved you'd be stuck going to 4.2.1 and losing your unlock.

4. KickIt thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what it says I have saved under Tiny Umbrella:

iPhone3GS 4.2.1 (8c148a)-then bunch of other numers ; and
    iphone3GS 4.3b2 (8F5153d)-then same numbers as one above.

I dont get what this means, shouldnt my blob be saved as (iPhone3GS 3.1.2 ??).

And yes I did periodically visit Cydia, and I did choose the "make my life easier."

Also, I cant restore to 3.1.2 because itunes keeps forcing me to restore and accept upgraded software as well, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Cydia can only save blobs that Apple is currently signing, regardless of what software version your phone is on. So if you hit "Make my life easier" within the last 2 months, the 4.2.1 blob is all you can get.

6. KickIt thread starter macrumors newbie

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

have you considered getting a new battery fitted to your phone as a solution to this problem?

8. KickIt thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think the battery is the problem since its a new one. I replaced it about 5 months ago and never had a problem until this.