House Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iZac, Jan 26, 2010.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Ive only just bothered to start watching House MD, and although im very much enjoying it, i have a critical question ... What to you jolly Americans think of his fake accent? is it horribly forced to your ears?

Hugh Laurie is a great British comedian and because i know what he should sound like, it feels really awkward to me. Hope you lot across the pond like him as much as we Brits do!

2. husker4 macrumors member

HOUSE FTW!! i think over here its kind of the opposite. I didn't know he was british and it just sounds wrong when i hear him talk with his british accent now. haha

3. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Hugh does extremely well with his American accent. I too didn't know he was British until I saw him on an awards show. Hell I thought he was faking the British accent. :eek:

I think the reason most wouldn't notice is because there's so many different accents and variations found throughout the US. Someone who is educated can annunciate well and cover any accent he or she may have and that's what he sounds like to me.

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I've never watched it. Medical shows don't really interest me although I've heard lots of good things about the show.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Even the show's producer didn't know he was british, he first heard him with his american accent and instantly thought he was american.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Hell, I didn't know he was British until this thread...:eek:

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I knew he was British but his accent was always great to me until I heard him in an interview with his real accent.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Good Lord! Have you never seen him in the Blackadder series as The Prince of Wales and Lieutenant George? A Bit of Fry and Laurie?

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Laurie was spectacular in Blackadder. Not sure which "age" I enjoyed best, probably the WWI stuff. Although seeing Brian Blessed in there amongst the rest of the riff-raff always made me happy.

I haven't watched a single episode of House. I ventured into this thread thinking it was about housing. :)

10. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Ha, well it's good to know he's doing a good job masquerading. I just hope he doesn't go all Christian Bale on us, and forget where on earth he comes from, and develops some sort of mish-mash voice.

Yes, and every single one of you should watch Blackadder, great stuff!

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

And A Bit of Fry and Laurie!!!!

12. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Oh yes, Steven Fry is brilliant too!

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I like his accent, and I think he does a good job. It was smart to go for an average, non-regional type accent instead of trying for some type of recognizable regional accent. I remember when House first came on, it took me a bit to recognize him. It still throws me off a bit when I see an interview with him in his normal voice. I'm fascinated by people who can pull off a good accent, since I suck at them. I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

He does a very good job, I think. The guys whose range impresses me are Carlysle, MacGregor and MacAvoy. Those guys can really pull off a convincing English accent.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That makes two of us

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I saw him on a talk show speaking with his native accent, and it was jarring. His American accent is that good.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

To me he sounds like an Oxford Brit doing a generic "American" accent. Too flat, too free of any dialect. But then, I had been watching (and listening) to him since the mid-80's or thereabouts, so his American accent sounds completely weird.

Don't forget Jeeves and Wooster! :D

18. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'm like the other who only saw him on House (great show!), then heard him speak in an interview and was blown away. I had no idea he was British.

19. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Best. Show. Ever. Seriously. If you have not seen any of the episodes go to the link below and watch one of the episodes via Amazon Video on Demand (it's only 99 cents). They are terrifically funny, and if you like them get the whole series from Amazon for only $32.00 (http://www.amazon.com/Jeeves-Wooster-Complete-Stephen-Fry/dp/B00006AVRK). It's a terrific bargain!

If you think House is good (which it most certainly is) you will love Jeeves and Wooster.