House Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GFLPraxis, Apr 13, 2010.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hey guys!

Quick background: I'm 22, and work in IT supporting Windows-based systems in medical environments (a lot of the executives run Macs, and there has been some effort towards moving everything we do towards being platform agnostic).

I just recently (i.e. closed last week) bought my first house.

With the economy and depressed local housing market, I was able to get an excellent price. That said, I need to do a lot of work on the house, including quite a bit of electrical work (some parts of the house have knob-and-tube wiring that needs to be removed). Additionally, the rather spacious upstairs is completely unfinished, so I'm going to frame out and build a bathroom, second living room, and bedroom.

Since I need electrical work done downstairs, and there is no drywall upstairs yet; I figure now is the perfect time to get the house ready for my future uses, from a tech perspective. I wanted to see if those of you here had any suggestions.

For starters, I picked up a 24-port patch panel and a gigabit switch, and am going to wire up the house with CAT6 cable. I'm planning to build a cheap PC to set up with RAID 5 and several 1- or 2-TB hard drives, and install FreeNAS and share it across the network (possibly also using it as a proxy server, VPN server, FTP server, and UPnP server to my PS3/Wii running homebrew).

I don't know much about sound systems. Does a surround sound setup require cabling behind the drywall? Are HDMI cables flexible enough to be run around corners well?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other things I could do before I get the drywall up?

Thanks all :)

2. ethical macrumors 68000

Wow, you've got a chance at a completely blank canvas, to create an awesome, techy, networked home! I'm afraid I cant offer any tips because I've never done anything like it before....but I'll definitely be following this one!

3. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Are you planning on wiring it so you can turn on lights/appliances/furnace/A/C etc. remotely by phone or computer or anything like that? I know a guy who did that when he was building his house a few years ago. Cool stuff. I can't tell you how, tho. Have fun with this, a blank slate like this is rare. I'm a little jealous.;)

4. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Thanks guys :)

Does anyone know anything about home automation? Interesting thought.

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Have you seen Project Jarvis?

Basically this guy has set up a Mac Mini which he can control by voice or text, it interprets his commands, controls his house accordingly, and can speak back to him.
    It can track who is in the house, and will refrain from giving information about banking details etc. if he has friends over. If the dog is home alone, there will be lights on in the dog's house, and the rest will be off. (To track these things he has provided his friends and dog with RFID tags).

You could create something similar!

Edit: Found this interesting article on Project Jarvis: boston.com