Household Budget Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lost in Tech, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Lost in Tech macrumors newbie

Any recommendations on personal or household budget applications? I am not interested in the online type, like mint.com

Has anyone used youneedabudget.com? I am considering that one, but am unsure. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.......

2. alienapp macrumors member

I would recommend GnuCash. Its free to use. So no harm trying. Here's a link where you can find more details or download it.

GnuCash

3. Lost in Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I have done some research. On the Apple website (MC downloads) there are several budget applications and I was wondering if anyone had used any of these and what your recommendations are on the ones listed below:
    Moneywell (MAC staff recommendation)
    Moneydance (MAC staff recommendation)
    SEE Finance (MAC staff recommendation)
    icash
    Personal Ledger
    MyMoney
    Budget
    Money

Thanks again....

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I use Excel. That way, I can make it do what I want. My budget is so simple, I've never felt a need for a software package where someone else is guessing at what I need. I had some old ClarisWorks templates that I never used for that reason.

5. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

I use Excel/NeoOffice on a spreadsheet that I've been extending for years (8 or 9). MoneyDance is how I maintain my check register. It to has a budget function but have not used it.

6. moglee macrumors newbie

You should give Squirrel a try - it´s not free but very good. You have budgets, scheduled transactions.... The best thing is the "report" function.

+there is an free iPhone version also.

http://www.squirrelapp.com/

7. btdpi007 macrumors member

I have iFinance and Moneywell on Macs, now. iFinance works great as a check register and syncs nicely with the optional iPhone app. Personally, I didn't like how it looked (both app and software). Recently, I came across and old mail, from a Macheist (or similar) bundle I had purchased and observed that I purchased Moneywell in a bundle. I loaded it up and it's similar to functionality to iFinance but does offer more options (buckets, download transaction from bank website, my opinion looks better than iFinance, etc). I occasionally have had some issues with syncing to my iPhone. Currently, I am using Moneywell, and unless some issue rears it head, do not plan on returning to iFinance. That being said, iFinance certainly filed the role I required and I would've stayed with it had I not already purchased Moneywell.

8. atr macrumors regular

Check out YNAB. It is by far the best personal/family budgeting strategy and software in my opinion. Check out the YNAB book (only 45 pages but explains the strategy completely) and there are many tutorial videos for the software.

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've been using PocketMoney on my iphone for a few years now. I just recently bought a MacBook and switching from a Windows PC where I was using Quicken. Because I have been using PocketMoney I got teh Mac version of PocketMoney and it works and syncs great. All of my transactions synced without an issue. There is a 30 day trial and I think I tried ity out for 2 weeks before buying it at $20.