Houston, huge AT&T announcement/upgrade!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asleep, Feb 8, 2011.

1. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

HOUSTON — AT&T announced their 2011 network upgrade plans for Houston Tuesday. It comes in the same week, Verizon prepares to launch the iPhone for its customers.

Chris Penrose is the Vice President of AT&T South Texas. He says antennas will help make their coverage better inside Beltway 8.

"We're actually going to replace over 2400 antennas across the Houston area, and replacing them with better performing, tighter bandwidth antennas, said Penrose. "So that you can actually see improvements in your call clarity and drop calls."

The President of AT&T Texas, David Nichols, says Houston has a low drop call rate.

"Our AT&T network in Houston today has a drop call average of less than 1% which is better than any national average of any major network provider," says Nichols...

story & video: http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-att-houston-upgrades-story,0,1241092.story

[​IMG]

AT&T (NYSE: T) is also adding 17 additional cell sites and upgrading nearly 50 more cell sites to mobile broadband.

Read more: AT&T invested $825M in Houston since 2008 | Houston Business Journal

2. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

Timing for this announcement is prescient.

I wonder if AT&T made similar press releases in other major markets in an effort to retain customers?

3. Orion126 macrumors regular

I read the title as "Houston, we have a problem" in Tom Hanks voice.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Great news! I switched from Verizon when the original iPhone was released, and I have been happy with the service. I can't remember the last time I dropped a call, and my data speeds are always very good.

I'm happy to hear that it's just going to get better.