Houston, the Macbook has landed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kreuzberg, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kreuzberg macrumors member

Hey

Im new to these forums but I have done a bit of lurking while researching what to purchase following the demise of my 4 year old HP laptop. I hated Vista so I decided to make the change to mac and after a 3 week wait, my new macbook pro finally arrived!

And so far I couldn't be happier! The set up was so easy and after reading a few of the threads about various problems I was a bit nervous but so far i cannot find a thing wrong with it.

Thoughts so far:

1. No dead pixels. The screen looks amazing compared to my old laptop and the glossy screen isn't distracting at all even though the I've got the brightness turned down and its a really sunny day outside

2. I was a little but worried about the size of the pro as its a 15 incher and I'm used to 13 but the thinness makes it seem much smaller and it weights exactly the same as my old HP

3. The battery seems really good. I downloaded coconutbattery and it says straight out of the box its capacity is 4911mA and it had zero cycles on it. Im currently calibrating it so it will be interesting to see how that changes after a few battery cycles

4. Build quality is amazing. The lid its fits perfectly, the keys are so easy to press and the trackpad only requires a light touch to click. Comparing it to the laptop I tried in the store, the trackpad is a lot quieter and doesn't require anywhere near as much effort to click.

The only bad thing I can see so far is that it seems to be taking a long time to charge (out of the box it was at 74% and it took over an hour and a half to reach full charge) but i suspect that was just because it was it first charge and the battery was pretty full to start with. Just out of interest, how long does a full charge take after its broken in?

All in all I'm really pleased with it and it was definitely worth the money!

kreuzberg

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Nice one. I'm guessing your experience is the same as 99% of users, not the moaners on here!

Have a currywurst on me! :D

3. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Lucky you. My 17" UMBP had 3 cycles mysteriously on the battery already when I switched it on.

4. kreuzberg thread starter macrumors member

From reading on this forum, it seems alot of people have had theirs arrive with some cycles already on it, thats why i thought it was weird mine had one. Do apple test them at all before they get sent out?

A little update on the battery situation. Since I've started the first discharge cycle the capacity has dropped down to 4885 mAh, still pretty awesome tho. Ive also been surfing for about 40 mins now and the battery is currently at 80% with a predicted 3.45 left, but i doubt its accuracy a little.

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Congrats! Glad you like it. :) You've been converted. :p

6. kolax macrumors G3

Go to System Preferences --> Displays and then Color. Click Calibrate and choose 2.2 Gamma ;)

The new Unibody MacBook Pro's are unusual with the batteries.. takes ages to charge. Thought mine would wear in, but still hasn't.

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Congrats it's a great machine...and yes like others have said it takes a long time to charge...

Cheers.

-J.-

8. kreuzberg thread starter macrumors member

Thats a little bit disappointing that it takes so long to charge, but I think I'll live. The amazing battery life definitely makes up for it, my old laptop would last about 1.30 until it needed charging.

I tried changing the gamma but i actually thought the display looked better when it was 1.8, at 2.2 it seemed a rich/artificial. I guess it just takes a little while to get used to

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

my battery also only came with 1 cycle on it. :) congrats on the new macbook pro

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

O the horror, the humanity, 3 cycles on the batt already:rolleyes: