Houston, we have a problem: iMac won't boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gvegastiger, Jun 18, 2012.

1. gvegastiger macrumors regular

So my iMac had the black screen and a beachball when I woke it up this morning. I restarted and it won't boot. I just get the white/gray screen with Apple logo and spinning wheel.

So I booted from the install disc, and went into Disk Utility however my disc utility just beachballs. Is it safe to assume my HD is dead and I need to take it in or is there something else to try?

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

So are you saying disk utility cannot see your hard drive? If not then most likely it is toast. Sorry.

3. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

Well, after waiting 15 mins Disk Utility could see my harddrive. I clicked on it and now its beachballing again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like your drive may be dying. I hope you have a current backup!

5. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

I do. I have a time machine backup as well as I just finished backing up everything to CrashPlan about a month ago.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you're covered! One thing to consider: Carbon Copy Cloner can make a bootable clone of your drive, unlike TM. That way if your drive dies, you can boot directly from the backup and be back in business.

7. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I know that TM doesn't make a bootable copy and I've been meaning to get something like that that will.

I'll probably look into that more as I'm about to have to replace my harddrive.

8. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

+1 on CCC. Amazing that it's free.

9. MrViking macrumors member

I had the same with my MBP.

HDD was accessible but very slow at times, and crashing...

If u have another mac around, try connecting it via firewire and boot it up in target mode and try to erase the HDD.

(my HDD did completely die)

10. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going to have to take it into the Apple Store and get them to replace the HDD. Its still under AppleCare.