Hover dictionary

Discussion in 'macOS' started by norcalstadium, Jun 18, 2012.

1. norcalstadium macrumors member

I'm running OSX Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and am wondering how I can customize the multi touch features.

I heard that Lion has a feature where three finger tap gives the definition of the highlighted word (ala the same feature as cntl+cmmd+d hover dictionary).

Looking at the Trackpad System Preferences, there is a two finger tap for a right click, but there aren't any three finger tap options, only a three finger swipe option. Presumably, there is a way I can add a three finger tap option to Snow Leopard without switching to Lion.

How can I add a setting for three finger tap to cause cntl-cmmd-d functionality?

Attached Files:

2. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

thanks Drew!

Any other suggestions?

3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

magic prefs is another free app that lets you customize multitouch gestures...

4. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for posting such useful applications!

Does anybody else have any other methods to add touch pad shortcuts, especially by using an Apple endorsed method?

5. norcalstadium, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

Hover dictionary substitute

Turns out that both BetterTouchTool and MagicPrefs are for Mac OS X 10.7 and later.

Does anybody have any suggestions for custom trackpad shortcuts for OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

Edit: I'm looking for a trackpad shortcut where three finger tap = cmmd+cntl+d

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only Apple endorsed method is to run Lion. Is there any reason you have to stay on 10.6 if this feature is that important to you?

B

8. norcalstadium thread starter macrumors member

There must be another way to make a shortcut for three finger tap on OS X 10.6, especially because there's already three and four finger swipe features. Snow Leopard has almost all the features I desire in an operating system so I don't see any need to upgrade, though the three finger tap gesture built-in to OS X 10.7 is appealing. While there are numerous features of Lion that seem useful, I don't see the need to upgrade my MBP to a whole new operating system with 200+ more features when I mainly only want to use one of those features (i.e. more custom trackpad gestures).