How 2.02 screwed me. (I've never had any problems previously)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Well, despite some of the debates on this forum over what the 2.0.2 update does, it's obvious to me that it messed with the 3G/EDGE network settings on the phone.

I live just outside of the 3G coverage in my area (literally 1 mile). This doesn't bother me because I just use wi/fi at home. However, when I updated my phone to 2.0.2 I started having bigtime problems with reception. My phone always says "no service" at home now. It's like it's waiting for the 3G service to come back and might pick up a slight little something because I'm so close to the coverage area, causing it to not want to switch to the EDGE network. Who knows how many calls I've already missed because of this...

I also have a first generation iPhone that I left running 2.0.1. When the two phones are side by side, the 3G states that there is no service and won't make calls, but the first generation has 2-3 bars of EDGE service and has no problem whatsoever.

Take from that what you want, but to me it's obvious that they messed with the 3G settings with this new update and not for the better. Yesterday when trying to locate a rec center near my house I was forced to ask my girlfriend to borrow her first gen iPhone for directions because my 3G had no service.

I just wish I had a pic of me using a 1st gen iphone for the map while trying to determine my location using the 3G iPhone's GPS on a 1/2 loaded garbled map. That's comedy...

All that being said, I'm a diehard Apple fan since back in the 80's and love the iPhone. Which is why it saddens me that I've finally started having a bad experience with it. 2.1 needs to save us! NOW!

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

2.0.2 sorta messed up my (indoor) GPS stuff too.

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Turning 3G off is a better option than missing a ton of calls.

4. psucompeng macrumors newbie

I'm seeing the same issue with my 3G. After update to 2.0.2, my indicated reception seems to be worse by 1-2 bars. I also live in an area not covered by (but close to) 3G.

Also, this "snappiness" that people refer to has been non-existent on my phone and I would say that the interface in general seems to be a little more sluggish than with 2.0.1.

5. Cross2 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with 2.0.2. Here's the solution that I found, do a hard reset on the phone (hold the lock button and home button until the phone turns off, then turn the phone back on). After the hard reset, 3g worked fine again.

6. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Meh, I live in a very fringe Edge area (serviced by T-Mobile in way NE Scottsdale) and my 3G 2.0.2 phone acts just as it did before, and is identical (reception wise) as my wife's 3G 2.0.1

7. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Well you if doesn't work for you, you can always back-restore to 2.0.1 if you weren't having the same problems before. Jeez some people just don't know how to think and just bitch about stuff.

8. psucompeng macrumors newbie

Actually, I've only had my phone for a week now and didn't realize you could roll back to 2.0.1. I think I'll try that. Thanks.

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i thought 2.0.2 updated the baseband and couldn't be downgraded through itunes. not positive about that, though.

10. psucompeng macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think you're right. That's unfortunate because I think the baseband is what needs to be downgraded. I have about 25 days left in my eval period, so maybe they will release another update before I have to return it.

I don't understand how these firmware updates could affect the received signal strength seen by the phone. I get that they tweaked the logic for the Edge/3G switching, but my problem is an appearent drop in Edge-only signal strength.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i had a similar probem
    doing a full restore fixed it for me
    im running 2.0.2 without a problem now

12. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

same with me

Ya, same with me. I just upgraded to 2.02 today, and afterwards, when I went outside, I had no service when 3G was turned on, when I usually get 5 F***ing bars...It definitely screwed me over.:mad:

13. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the full restore on my phone tonight. Before restore there was no service, after restore I have 4 bars. Looks like something may have just not installed correctly after all. I wish I had time to do it sooner. Wireless firmware updates/restores anyone?

14. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Well I guess I'm happy I haven't upgraded the firmware yet, with any release I always wait a week or so and see how other "beta" testers experiences go.