How a guy telling me my iPhone sucked SAVED MY LIFE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dropbars, Jul 16, 2010.

1. dropbars macrumors newbie

I got my new iPhone and case the other day, and I was super excited. When I got home I immediately opened the box and synced with iTunes. After it was done loading everything I put on the case and screen protector. This thing looks sweet, time to show it off.

So I was hungry and decided to take this bad boy out in public. I went to the local mall and decided to eat at the food court, mmmm chicken nuggets. While waiting in line a guy sees me playing with my phone and comments how he’s not going to upgrade his 3gs for that piece of junk. Thinking he’s being sarcastic I reply with, “ I know, right”. He then tells me, “No, I’m serious”. I ask him really? Not knowing about the antenna issue at this time, since I have a case on, I then start listing all the new features. I start with the new resolution, the faster processor, twice as much RAM, HD video, video editing on my phone, longer battery life, noise cancellation, face time, front facing camera. I tell him the 3gs is an awesome phone but this one has and does so much more.

At his time I ask him to sit with me and explain more about his views. He tells me it sucks on count of the antenna. I ask him to explain. He states that the phone will lose signal strength, or drop a call if I’m in a weak area and you touch a certain part of the phone, and say it’s a design flaw. I ask him to show me. He says he can’t while I have my case on. I then ask him, so you mean if I get a call, remove my case, hold it a certain way, and happen to be in a low signal area I may drop a call? He say, yes. Think god I have a case I tell him.

Now at this point I’m ready to do a little debating. So I ask him if I have a case I don’t have any thing to worry about? He lets me know he doesn’t want to have to buy a case, and I say that’s fare. But I notice you have one on your phone, is it because of a design flaw? He says it’s for protection, if I drop it. I tell him so is mine, you would be dumb not to have one with a glass screen. I ask him is that a design flaw? I tell him it’s more of a design penalty. A design flaw has a penalty without a advantage much like the Toyota’s gas pedals. A design penalty has a penalty but also give you an advantage over other designs. He wants me to explain. You get the benefits of a super clear, smooth and eloquent glass screen compared to plastic. Con is that it can shatter. So it’s a good idea to use a case. Same with the antenna, it’s large, basically the size of the phone, and can receive signals from a lot farther away from the source. Con is if you touch a certain area it will lose strength just like touching any antenna. To resolve use a case.

Now I want to show him the speed of this bad boy. I ask him to log onto the local free wifi network, which happens to be the Starbucks at the end of the food court. He tells me he cant get a signal, he says he also doesn’t get a 3g signal in side the mall. I say well there you go.

After eating my last nugget I then stand up and say, thank you. If your wondering how he saved my life well…….. I now have more confidence in my phone then ever and I can go on with my life not worrying about it. Unlike this guy who has no life and worries about stupid crap like this.

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

3. xmtgx macrumors regular

4. Reefbone macrumors regular

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

First off, I can't even read that without some spaces and paragraphs. And secondly, from what I did, you didn't even know about the antenna issues. Really?

7. michaelfields macrumors regular

I can't believe I read that. What a complete waste of time.

8. MCRunning macrumors 6502

9. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I'm with you on this.

10. michaelfields macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure he's not the one sitting at home writing this huge waste of space about it....

who has no life?

11. rookie1082 macrumors regular

OP, i'm taking a wild guess but i'm assuming you're 16 years of age. (I would go lower but i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, plus you didn't mention anywhere that your mom or dad had to drive you to the mall).

If you are older then I feel sorry for you. You say the other dude has nothing better to do than worry about crap like this -- when in fact you are worryin about it enough so that it -- "saves your life."

Pathetic.

It's a phone.

Relax.

JESUS this forum has gone down the crapper.

12. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

I agree it is stupid not to buy a really great phone(I'm not a fanboy, I dislike most if their stuff.) but understandable.
    Also goddamn son you do need a summarization.

13. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

It's people like you that "ruin" forums but I doubt that has happened in your months time.

14. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Summary
    Glass screen is awesome for many reasons, but also a flaw cause it can shatter if you drop. Solution: buy a case.

iPhone 4 antenna is awesome because it has unmatched range and ability to hold a signla, but also a flaw because you can touch it wrong and disrupt it. Solution: buy a case.

Why is one con+solution a non-issue while basically the same "problem" is such a big deal?

I believe that's what he's saying. I am not making my own opinion on his observation.

15. erik.thor21 macrumors newbie

You owned that nerd mallrat.
    Well played ts, well played.

16. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Considering i've been reading these forums for years, i'd say you're a little off.

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah that was his point. The "guy" refused to get the phone because he would have to use a case to avoid any antenna issues but if it didn't have an antenna problem he would use a case anyhow to keep from breaking it. He has a good point. A lot of people complaining about using a case to protect the antenna use a case to protect the glass...

18. dropbars thread starter macrumors newbie

Ding, Ding, Ding,