How about a 6" iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by feflower, Jun 29, 2010.

1. feflower macrumors regular

Looking at purchasing the new iPhone or the awaited iPod Touch but I was wondering the following:

iPad: too big to pull out in some public places (public transportation; while walking; ); too big to carry conveniently and access quickly.
    iPod Touch: too small to read conveniently, too small for iWork (?)

I'm looking for something that might be in between for people whose eyesight is not young.

Basically I'm looking for something that I could use in fieldwork, that can be accessed easily and be inconspicuous when taken out. I would like something that could take audio notes, used for moderate word processing and data inputting which will be consolidated at the end of the day when you are at your primary laptop/computer--I know this sounds like the iPod Touch or iPhone--I just wish the screen was a little bigger.

Anybody else wish something like this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm sure the niche consumer would buy a 6" iPod touch, but outside of special interests like yours there's not really a market.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

5. feflower thread starter macrumors regular

How many of you out there find the screen for the iTouch/iPhone too small for all your tasks?

If we are looking at market feasibility, I'm sure a growing older generation would welcome something that might offer larger font.

To be more accurate, I'm thinking of something as big as a 3x5 photo (remember those?) or a pocketbook (remember those?).

Market: college students; researchers; young kids with small hands (think of it as "my first iPad"); "housewives" who want everything to fit in a purse; men who want everything to fit in a murse; subway bookreaders;

If Apple is offering iWork and iMovie on the smaller devices, I think these would work well on them.

Personally I could not pull out an iPad on the subway--it is too pretentious, and maybe too dangerous. For my fieldwork, I want to read articles, pdfs on my long bus rides, downtime, and the iPod is too inconvenient.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Sorta, I dont think they'll jump to 6" but maybe like 4 inch or 4.5 inch, but i doubt it.

7. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

8. devils punchbow macrumors member

good size as is. 6 too big. Would not support product at that size......

9. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Hard to say... iPod touch is small and pocketable. iPad is meant to be large enough to comfortably hold and interact with larger media. Seems like an in-between size would be the worst of both worlds.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

:rolleyes:
    +1
    +1

You may want a 6" but it's all up to Apple, and i dont think Apple agrees.

11. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

So none of you have tried taping two iPod touches together?

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

LOL at previous comment. Anyhow, I don't think a 6" touch would sell well because it would be more expensive and not pocketable, so I think people would rather just buy an iPad. That's what I would do anyhow.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Of course i have! JK....
    Me neither, I would never buy an iPad; it is just a big ipod touch, basically, and it costs a 100 dollars more between their highest storage model on the ipod touch and the ipad's lowest storage model.

14. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

iTouch...*facepalm*

IT'S A FREICKING iPod touch. :rolleyes:

15. feflower thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it is up to Apple, and I think the current size of the iTouch is just right for most things. There will always be a demand for the current size.

I'm just wondering how many people would like something in between the iPad and iTouch.

I would think college students and researchers (and general public) would like something about the size of a paperback that would make reading articles, books, and making annotations convenient. Yes, the iPad is great for reading and annotating but it is not something I would pull out comfortably everywhere.

Plus a paperbook size could make it ALMOST feasible to use it as a small monitor for inputing data or text either by the onscreen keyboard, or if desired, with a wireless/USB keyboard.

Also a paperback size would be convenient enough to listen to lectures, and music, pull out to change tracks, fast forward, etc.

Any thoughts?

16. timerollson macrumors 65816

17. feflower thread starter macrumors regular

The intention is not to put it in your pocket. The intention is to have something in your hands that you can easily read lots of text without drawing lots of attention from bystanders.

The iPad: not pocketable
    The iPod: too small to read text without a headache.

When I mean pocketbook size I don't mean the pockets of your jeans. I mean the pocket of your jacket. Something you can easily put in a handbag, "murse", jacket pocket, carry while walking out of the subway, easily slip into an exterior pocket of your bag.

18. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

bump it up to a 4 or 4.3" and you got your self a great portable media player.

19. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

so they can mug you can steal it? OK! :D

What about the summer? No one really wears a jacket during the summer.

20. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1

I dont know anybody who wears a "murse".

21. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Both run the very same software and the only real difference between an iPod Touch and the iPad is the screen size. Full stop.

A 6" iPod Touch would therefore just be a smaller iPad, and people would buy it because of the handier form factor. Just like people also buy the smaller Kindle and not just the big one.

22. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It just all depends on how much they would cost.