How about a Canon ZR850?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OCraised, Jun 4, 2008.

1. OCraised macrumors newbie

Is this a decent entry level camera? I was dumb and bought a sony that didn't have a firewire connection (mini - dvd). Then I bought a Macbook and figured hey this would be great.

Boy was I wrong. Now I am trying to right my mistake.

So long story short. Is this a decent camera. I am not looking to make professional movies. And sorry for starting yet another thread.

2. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

The ZR series has HORRIBLE motor noise interference for a lot of people, including me. I purchased a zr600 a long time ago, and I was completely disgusted with it. I made a huge mistake then, cause it had no mic-in, so I was totally stuck.

Canon basically said, "that's how it is." The awful ringing/whirring noise ruined the video I attempted to create, and made anything that didn't have constant loud noise (music, etc) in it worthless.

I do not recommend the ZR series... period. Your model also doesn't have a microphone input, so you have no hope of escaping any motor noise problem.

Go to www.camcorderinfo.net, and check out the forums for the ZR. Look for "motor noise," and a lot will come up.