How about a 'google' number-lookup in the next IOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SouthsideJohnny, Feb 1, 2014.

1. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

Give us an easy way to jump from an incoming call to something like a Google search for the phone number, so we can check out a suspicious caller.

That's probably going to increase the spoofing problem, but with all the phone scams going on, wouldn't it be handy to have a quick tap that shows whether the number is a telemarketer or scammer?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think there's a fool proof to know what a number really is. You can always quickly copy the number from recent numbers and do a search on it from your browser or even spotlight I believe.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Interesting idea but as you mentioned the folks we don't want to talk to spoof and block and otherwise make it difficult to avoid them.

With that said, a service like Trap Call will avoid those issues but it's a fee based service. I'm fortunate that so few people call me that if I don't recognize the number I let it go to voicemail. If it's important they will leave a voice mail or contact me some other way.

4. matttye macrumors 601

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Unless i'm mistaken the business has to register their phone number in order for the name to be populated on Caller ID. If this is the case than Scam numbers will show nothing when they come in.

6. asdf20 macrumors newbie

True caller is the app name that just does what you asked. On android, it will open and search for the number while an incoming call. This app is also available for iPhone but sadly it won't do the same while incoming call. I think they can improve the app for iOS if Apple removes restrictions on 3rd party apps.

7. SouthsideJohnny thread starter macrumors regular

But even the scam numbers will find their way into the online 'who called me' website databases so there's still benefit to having a quick way to get from the number to a browser search.

For some reason, I have a hard time remembering 10 digits long enough to bring up Google and type it in correctly.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why not just copy and paste?