Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Niltinho

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017
This is only a question of engineering and can be solved with relative ease. The final question will rest with cost; i.e., if manufacturing costs keep it below the cost of a new USB-C power supply.

1st, pls note the the new magnetic solutions out there is just a magnectic adapter not a Magsafe 1 or 2 to USB-C.

Anyways, what is being asked here is not a big deal, and I always found strange that this still do not exist, sorry I cant remember where I saw it but, apparently the issue here is that Apple has a very strong patent on Magsafe, which protects it to the point that not even adapters can be made, which also explains why only a Magsafe 1 to 2 adapter does exist.

I still dream it will exist one day though, I have plenty Magsafe power packs. :(

Matt Wacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I'm in the Thunderbolt Display owner camp here. If Apple was serious about their environmental footprint, a Magsafe to USB-C adapter would go a long way to extending the life and usability of the thunderbolt display. They did after all make a Magsafe 1 to Magsafe 2 adapter - Why stop there? I'd go as far as to say they have a corporate social responsibility to make this adapter a reality.

Reactions: penter

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
This:
I'm in the Thunderbolt Display owner camp here. If Apple was serious about their environmental footprint, a Magsafe to USB-C adapter would go a long way to extending the life and usability of the thunderbolt display. They did after all make a Magsafe 1 to Magsafe 2 adapter - Why stop there? I'd go as far as to say they have a corporate social responsibility to make this adapter a reality.

I wish there was a way to enforce such a thing... not that this is the biggest, most controversial, or environmentally impactful issue out there, but if all of corporate decisions were predicated upon social/environmental responsibility as basic guiding principles, then things like this wouldn't get ignored.

At least it's a step in the right direction, when you consider their embrace of a more universal, next-generation interface standard.

Its all just another business tactic - the good old forced-adoption, that Apple has so elegantly mastered; they're probably stalling before the release of an USB-C Cinema Display, and thus generating more interest from people that are eager to upgrade their 'obsolete' thunderbold displays to something that fits in the new ecosystem.

That's some Darwinian biomimetic thug s#!* right there! All for the sake of profit... I mean... progress!

I still really hope they release this eventually though, because they're clearly holding the patent whilst keeping others from developing alternatives... and that's just annoying.

Last edited:

Niltinho

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2017
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-3-1-t...317881?hash=item3aee8cf339:g:6ysAAOSwCndZnPHS

Isn't this what you have been talking about?

If so, I have a question. I have a bunch of 85W Magsafe 2 and just purchased 87W MBP 15". Does the difference in wattage (85 vs. 87) matter? Is it small enough so that my old Magsafe 2 is powerful enough to charge up the new MBP?

This is perfect!!! At least is what I am looking for and talking about ... I don't think that de difference of 85 to 87 matters, as long it works.

Has anyone tested it already?

Thanks

ykamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
I just ordered one since I need to use three AC adapters (my office, home office, and bedroom). If this works, I can save two extra chargers. I will write a report here once I start using it. What a pain, Apple (along with no USB-a or HDMI)....

ykamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
I received the adapter today, after some 20 days. The worst product ever. It just doesn't work, period. When I looked at it more carefully, the five pins of MagSafe 2 do not exactly align with those of their "adapter." I have no idea how they thought it would work, since even a quick, visual instruction can tell that the pins of their "adapter" are a little too closely aligned. I will ask eBay for a refund.
Verdict. DO NOT buy this product.

Reactions: sunsetblow

fuseburner

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
Hello, So this is a reality now: elecjet has outed a product called
ANYWATT ONE: MAGSAFE TO USB C POWER DELIVERY ADAPTER
but personally I am not searching for that anymore, since I only have one MagSafe 2 adapter, and it will be dangerous to connect this as it is not sanctioned by apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.