How about a Retro G4 DesktopII

Discussion in 'iMac' started by captainmuggles, Jul 2, 2011.

1. captainmuggles macrumors newbie

I own a G40 All In One desktop. I love it very much. If you could upgrade it with a new processor, and all of the other new and cool technologies that Apple has pioneered or used in their newer desktops I would do it in a heartbeat. BUT you can't and that's that! I see many, many posts on Computer forums such as this one by people asking questions about upgrading their G4 and changing processors and trying vainly to modify their G4. If Apple made a Retro model G4 that looked exactly like the original G4 except for the color or some new visible model number stating it as such. I truly believe many thousands of people would purchase it. (I mean how cool is that Round Apple Shaped Base Case and the Swivel Monitor) C'mon guys and girls, I really mean it! The G4 is truly an admired piece of equipment.

2. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

I could see heating issues, weight balance issues (those screens are not light) and scumbags wouldn't be able to wait when it comes to selling old G4's as new i7s.

3. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I hope you don't mean releasing it with the same outdated specs. It would be completely useless in todays standard unless you only wanna write letters and surf (which would still be very slow and laggy).
    I rather watch retro videos of the G4 (and any other G powered computers).

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

You must not have read the first part of his post, about wanting to upgrade his G4. I sure he meant a modern Mac.

5. captainmuggles thread starter macrumors newbie

Retro G4

Thankyou Stroke for explaining my post. At least you were paying attention. Of course I meant a look-alike retro model of a G 4 with all new technology. That was the idea behind my post.

6. mrzeigler macrumors regular

I'm a day or two away from replacing my 21" G4, and I know I will miss it's swivel monitor. It'll become my secondary machine (yep, still my primary and it's been a workhorse) ... but if the next iMac update were a back-to-the-future release that incorporates a swivel, I'd probably sell my soon-to-be-purchased 2011 model for it.

7. MacHamster68, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

ok i'd love my old Mac's too ,eMac's and iMac G3's and for the later i just bought a micro itx board from ZOTAC
    with dual core atom and nvidia ion II graphics , and a not working iMac g3 tray loader
    fits in like its made for it , runs easy snow leopard and lion too(OSX sees the atom dual core as a core 2 duo cpu, so no worrys with lion installs ) , windows7 and linux distros if desired

a how to can be found here , as i hate to wait for apple to bring a retro iMac,and with a bit work involved you can shoehorn one in a iMac G4 too
    i often said i would have payed apple any price for a iMac G3 with modern internals , but they just ignore my wish for a beautiful retro iMac (think about a unibody case in shape of a iMac G3 with MacBook pro internals , that would be a iMac i would be willing to pay apple £5000 for it , but apple only builds what sells in millions ,they do no small numbers for collectors
    so no choice other then building one yourself..like i do ..ok its a project but the parts are already waiting , just need the time to build it