How about a UK forum for regional issues...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by netdog, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Seems like we have a lot of UK-specific threads come up that sometimes get drowned out. A UK-specific forum would be quite useful for many in our rather large sector of the MR community. I could see many of us subscribing to such a forum and giving each other a lot of support without clogging the regular forums.

Mods?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Personally I wouldn't be in favour of it. Where would it end?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then why not Canadian, Australian, Norwegian, New Zealand ones? Just to name a few nationalities that come to mind and would have equally valid claims.

Do you also suggest we have matching forums for the UK contingent? A UK iPhone forum, a UK iPod forum? Personally, I like knowing all threads have a geographically-diverse readership.

Doubt it's going to happen.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not sure that would work. Basically you would need a complete off shoot segregation from MR main, and then where do you stop ? The Canadians will be moaning that they haven't got their own forum and what about the rest of the world ?

Do we then split moderators and administrators ? We would have to recruit a lot more if it means there are two sites to police / govern.

And what happens to other sections such as current affairs ? Can we no longer discuss things globally ? Do I have to log out and in of two different forums dependent on the post / discussion ?

Its a nice idea in principal, but in practice I could see it being a nightmare in both time and additional cost for the MR team, and usability for the reader.

Edit...... damn everyone posted as I was typing mine all saying the same thing :p

5. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

No. Just a UK forum. People can ask about stock, 3rd party UK suppliers, HE and EDU pricing, UK promotional offers etc. All sorts of UK-specific threads come up, as you know, that are of no interest to non-Brits in the iPhone, MBA, MP, Buying Tips, etc., and they aren't very accessible to us.

This board has grown a lot, and the UK contingent is quite big. Once you all quit jerking your knees, maybe you'll see the sense in considering it. Subscribing to the UK forum would help a lot of us to help each other, and it wouldn't get in anyone else's way.

I don't think a Canadian forum would be a bad idea as Rogers is apparently about to announce, and an Australian forum might make sense, and I think the idea of a New Zealand forum is only a little bit more reasonable than a Vietnam or Norway forum. It's not like this would make a lot of work for the Mods.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But it would split up information surrounding products in general from their "proper" home.

No knee jerking, I'm just not for it.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not the way to continue this conversation. We have a responsibility to maintain and develop this forum for all those who participate, not just the small minority of UK users.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Why not just have segregated websites?

Macrumors US
    Macrumours UK
    Macrumours AU

with no cross contamination.

As a bonus the site name will be spelt correctly for each country too

9. 119576 Guest

and Macrumeures FR ;)

seriously though, in regards to the OP- It's too much in the way of segregation.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's the international nature of this forum which makes it so engaging.

11. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

My suggestion wouldn't affect that at all.

To the rest, just forget it. You all know better.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Well 5 UK members think it's a bad idea. Surely we're the ones who should think it was great. What does that tell you?

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In many cases, we do. You specifically asked mods for their opinions, which were politely given, but when we don't agree, it's suddenly problematic.

You're not the first, nor will you be the last to make this request... the issues have been considered before.

14. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Exactly, I wouldn't visit a separate UK forum or even a separate set of threads.

15. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. At the moment I want to know who is getting their new MBP and when, but I have no idea of knowing whether the posts are US, UK etc...

Perhaps some way of being able to set it so that all posts from a certain country in a different colour would be cool.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Some people like the anonymity that not having your location advertised offers.

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Spelling always gives them away though.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, narrows it down to UK, australia and new zealand, oh and the other countries who spell like the UK

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, please let's not derail this thread with that topic; it's asking for trouble.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Sorry... :eek:

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can often tell the difference between different English speakers in the way they write and form sentences.

As for the original thread topic. Integration is good mkay? :)

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're going to post a thread asking for feedback don't get upset when the feedback you receive is not agreeable with your viewpoint. That's not asking for feedback, that's asking for agreement.

Perhaps your request would be more valid if you presented examples of UK related threads that were ignored. I rarely see a thread go unanswered.

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

It would be interesting to see the stats for the nationalities here. It can't be done accurately because there's no requirement to state nationality, but even amongst those who have stated it it would be interesting. Talking of this as an 'international forum' - it could be more like 60% US, 38% UK, 2% other. :D

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know there's about a dozen 'active' Irish contingent (out of 147000 registered users) so I guess that puts me in the 2% category.

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Add me to the list of those who think that splitting the forums into countries would lose some of the technical info too.

If it's a UK specific thread, the thread starter often puts (UK) in the title which gets the message across pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.