How about high speed videos in the new iPhone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ciberkarlos, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ciberkarlos macrumors member

Hi everyone,

With all the rumors about the new iPhone's features, i've just heard a few ones talking about high speed videos in the new iPhone's camera. HS videos are stunning, really beautiful and funny, and for some professions (like mine) very useful. Do you think is reallistic to think that the iPhone (the next one, or further versions) will include this awesome feature?? Oh, and for high speed videos i mean almost 120-200fps.

Thank you!!

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This can be filed into one of two categories (for better or for worse)
    Either
    A) Features the general public doesn't want
    B) Features the general public doesn't know they want

3. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

Why you need 120-200fps? What exactly use cases?

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm an idiot but I don't even know what you mean by high speed videos. :confused:

So having said that I can't say that I want or care about high speed videos on the new phone..

5. teejaysyke macrumors regular

High Speed videos, contrary to what you would think.

Are films shot at very fast frame rates. Normal video is around 30fps.

High Speed Videos are shot with 100-200 and some times even higher.

It's really useful when you want to make a slow motion video (high speed video)

Because when you slow it down, it'll still display smooth, and allow you to see each detail crisp and clear.

Example is if you seen Mythbusters, when they do stuff with bullets, and they show the slow mo of the bullet penetrating the ballistics gel.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

No, the CPU won't be able to encode it fast enough, unless we're talking about a very low resolution.

High speed videos look better when you have a camera that's actually good anyway. Good as in professional camera.

7. 617aircav Suspended

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Quality.

----------

If we thought like that, than we'd still be using smartphone cameras with crappy lenses and a VGA resolution, because 'good quality 5 or 8 megapixel cameras with HD recording on a mobile phone, won't look as good as professional cameras.

Apple, or another company, should give it a shot. It won't be as good as a professional camera, but good enough.

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Link please :confused:

Realistic. No

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Realistic, yes actually. It's possible already.

And that he heard some people talk about it, doesn't mean that happened on the Internet.

11. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Because you don't need it doesn't mean nobody needs it. I work in a sports sciences laboratory and HS videos are really useful to analyze technical and biomechanicals issues. And also, slow motion videos are just beautiful.
    I have a Casio Exilim FC100 HS camera, which costs about 150 bucks and films at 210fps. Its quality is very low (400x200px) but is enough to analyze athletes and have fun with friends. I'm not an engineer, but i think this kind of quality would be possible in the new iPhone.

Now, i film my athletes with my camera, then i load the videos on my mac, share them via email, upload them to youtube, etc. If the new iPhone has this feature, it will be REALLY useful to me. And i'm convinced that people would love that feature. Just type on Youtube "slow motion casio" and enjoy.

I know this may be utopic, but HS videos in the iPhone would be amazing.

12. pgiguere1, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

The difference is that we have hardware that will let us see the difference between a VGA image and 5-8 Mpx image, especially with Retina Displays and the fact that people sometimes zoom on pictures to see more details.

Even if the next iPhone had a super-fast CPU that technically could allow to shoot and encode at 120-200 FPS, the vast majority of people wouldn't benefit from it. Most screens have a refresh rate of 60Hz, meaning anything over 60FPS isn't even displayed by the screen. The only real benefit would be making smooth slow-mos, but I think most people don't edit videos they took with their iPhone with a professional editing software just to make smooth slo-mos. If that's your kind of thing, get a dedicated hi-speed camera which will offer a much better image quality since it will use a full-sized sensor and lens, and storage that will let you shoot over 2 minutes of video without being full.

Also, think of all of the non-tech people who would see "hi-speed video" in the settings and turn it on without knowing what it is. It would do no difference for them except take 4-5x the storage space and drain their battery like crazy, then they will wonder why their storage is full so fast.

But of course all of that is hypothetical since the CPU won't allow encoding of 120-200 FPS videos for sure. I just wanted to point out it's a bad idea even if it was possible. Maybe we'll get 60FPS one day (the screen can actually display that), but anything over that is pointless. Were's still not there though. Even a $3,500 Canon 5D mkiii (body only) isn't able to shoot 60FPS 1080p. Maybe in like 2 years we'll see that in cell phones.

13. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's what i'm talking about

14. ciberkarlos thread starter macrumors member

Interesting point of view, thanks. Regarding to the 3,500$ Canon, i'm not asking for this kind of quality, but Casio Exilim FC100 quality. 210 fps videos looks very slow and smooth, and the result is really great, even in its poor quality. I would love to be able to film my friends jumping to the pool, or making a backflip, or scoring a goal, etc with my iPhone.

I'll keep dreaming :-(

15. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Like I said in my previous answer, it would be possible right now, but at lower resolutions. The Casio Exilim FC100 you mentioned can shoot at either 480x360, 224x168, or 224x64 resolutions, which are ridiculously low for today's standards. I just feel like Apple wouldn't implement such a new feature unless it's up to their quality standards, and 480x360 doesn't really cut it for today's standards, especially with their big push for high-resolution displays.