Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Unlikely I know, but what about iPhone SJ for the redesigned iPhone? A nod to Steve.

EDIT: Would love to hear your other thoughts for potential names.

Last edited:
Reactions: pandi.ruvina

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In my opinion, that's a horrible marketing idea. Now, I can appreciate the tribute to Jobs, but the naming scheme does not fit at all just because it's a new iPhone design because of Jobs. This new iPhone (Aside from the 7S) will have some clever marketing term attached that defines this overhauled iPhone. I Don't believe having Steve Jobs mixed in the marketing scheme of the OLED model is appropriate for marketing.

When the iPhone SE launched, many thought the it stood for "Steve Edition", when in fact it did not. Phil Schiller stated it stated for "Special Edition. "

I think Apple is doing the right thing by giving Steve a nod with the new Jobs theater. To me,
That makes for sense to name a landmark after him versus an iPhone.

Reactions: akash.nu

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Unlikely I know, but what about iPhone SJ for the redesigned iPhone? A nod to Steve.

Holy Sh*t! I was just thinking of it today coming to work and staying in macrumors all day, I was thinking like a tribute to SJ or maybe iPhone Jobs!

WiiDsmKR69

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
What if they transition from iPhone to Apple Phone and the “iPhone 8” was the first to start this.

I know ditching iPhone seems too much to chew but so does ditching headphone jack, only having USB C ports etc.

They could drop the numbering and just sell each one as “Apple Phone” , with the reference informally being the year. “2017 Apple Phone”, just like “2016 MacBook Pro”

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
What if they transition from iPhone to Apple Phone and the “iPhone 8” was the first to start this.

I know ditching iPhone seems too much to chew but so does ditching headphone jack, only having USB C ports etc.

They could drop the numbering and just sell each one as “Apple Phone” , with the reference informally being the year. “2017 Apple Phone”, just like “2016 MacBook Pro”

The whole world is aware of the name iPhone, seems like a waste to throw that away don't you think? People already had a hard time going from the rumored iWatch name to Apple Watch... And MacBook would become... Apple Laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.