How about separating the MacBook and MacBook Pro forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Aniej, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Normally it would not be to big of an issue, but with the huge number of people filling this single forum and the number of posts, it might be time to split this into two forums so that the subject matter discussed stays relevant and useful to the individual users. For example, there are often at least 100+ (often far more than that) people in this forum whereas others are around 50+ people in the forum.

Thoughts?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Do you mean making a sepearate forum for MacBook and MacBook Pro, something like this:

MacBook Pro Forum (PowerBook G4 too)
    Discuss Apple's professional notebooks

MacBook Forum (iBook G4 too)
    Discuss Apple's consumer notebooks

I agree with something like this.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

given that they're both laptops and aren't too different from each other, I'm not sure that would be a good idea, mostly because it would cause duplicate threads galore (e.g. like the ones asking for laptop bag suggestions or accessories, they're bad enough as it is right now...)

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My gut instinct is that folks have a hard enough time finding the right sub-forum to start threads as it is. I think it could get a lot more confusing to separate the two.

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I respect the different views, but I don't really see what would be so confusing about a forum that says MacBook Pro and below it one that says MacBook.

It just gets a bit annoying reading all the MB posts that are so unrelated. Whether they are separated or not, the "is this a good bag" questions will never end.:rolleyes:

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think there is a considerable amount of cross platform discussion. I do not see a sufficient benefit to warrant this level of subject definition. We all organize our worlds a little different. I only go to two forums directly; Political-Religous-Social, and Digital Video. I use the Forum Spy for the rest. I seldom look at what forum it is in. Bottomline; I really do not care how things are organized. They seem to make sense the way they are.

You recently jumped BigPrince for posting in the wrong forum. He was asking about connecting his MBP to his TV. I do not see any reason it could not be in the MB/MBP forum. I would hate to see a structure/policy which would create more opportunities for confrontation.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I think this is a good idea. They do it in other forums, and it works pretty well.

MacBook Pro, PowerBook

MacBook, iBook.

Works well for me.

8. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Or Professional Macs (Mac Pros, PowerMacs, Macbook Pros, Powerbooks) and Consumer Macs (iMacs, Macbooks, Mac Minis, ibooks etc etc)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In principle, yes. In practice, no... well, not without some serious thought given to a site redesign. The main forum page is looking quite cluttered already.

We have a proliferation of forums at the moment which is already clearly causing confusion, and given Apple's stated aims of diversifying into consumer electronics, there may be even more devices in the future that may warrant further subdivisions.

I have a MBP, yet it doesn't bother me to peek in there to see mostly MB stuff.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I like your thinking but I'd go the other way. I wouldn't mind seeing them renamed Portable Macs and Desktop Macs. MacBooks and MacBook Pros are relatively very similar, compared with MacBook Pros and Power Mac G5s.