How about the 16g built-in SSD for OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prince134, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Prince134 macrumors 6502

Will the SSD for OSX still be there like the French site revealed yesterday?

2. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Drink a bunch and when you wake up tomorrow all will be revealed.

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

4. Doneaux macrumors member

This ladies and gentlemen, is truth.

Unfortunately some of us have exams to study for so no blackouts for me.

5. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I think the SSD rumor is the stupidest idea I've heard:

1. Its too small to be of any real use except for the OS and I bet that will be very small in the long run.

2. My guess is that the swap file will be on a normal HDD because of the size which makes the SSD even more useless.

3. I'm going to be charged for the price of the SSD but not get any real benefit from it. Sure, I can probably boot up a bit quicker but I don't reboot very often.

4. I have no intentions of moving to an SSD because the size vs price is just too price heavy at this point.

I would have preferred more memory (16 gig like in the new HPs and Dells) rather than a pricey SSD option that offers very little performance for the price.

I've included a screenshot from my activity monitor to give you an idea of memory and disk usage I'm working with...

-P

Attached Files:

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I agree with you mostly. I could understand them doing a 32gb SSD to store the OS and software on but the OS takes up quite a bit of space and unless I can store the rest of my programs on there it doesn't seem worth it. I don't reboot often enough to care that much about start up times. It's still relatively fast with my 4 year old computer so I can't complain that much.

7. Prince134 thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to decide by today whether to order a ssd 120gb for myself. Since I got the promo coupon to end today. Since this MBP I will buy for sure, if it got 16g on board, I might just skip buying 120gb ssd this time.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The photos of the specs for the 13" (I'm guessing its the base model) don't list an SSD. If it was in there I'm sure it would be listed.