How about the Canon Pixma MP610?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CommonMan, Jan 1, 2008.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I also have an interest in the Canon Pixma MP610 all in one printer. Does anyone have this printer and want to share your thoughts? I would appreciate any feedback--thanks.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I've had a couple canon PIXMA printers and I like them. I currently have an MP510.

3. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

It's pretty much the top printer of this year. You would be hard pressed to find a publication that didn't rate that the number 1 printer. I have the mp600 which is the last years model, but basically the same printer with a different design.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,123861-page,1/article.html

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I really like this printer and have been looking to get of all the reviews i have looked at this printer did extremley well

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I have the MP150 AiO and it rocks too. Not sure its differences, older I guess, but still pretty good printer. Produces near-excellent prints with proper paper and enough ink, though the colour isn't always as expected. Hope this helps, cheers

6. GregE macrumors 6502

I bought the MP610 when I got my iMac because of reviews but haven't hooked it up yet. I like hearing what others have said on this thread.

7. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Thank you so much!

I appreciate all of the feedback. This really helps my decision. Thanks to all!

8. midorix macrumors member

I been using MP610 for about a month now with my new Imac.

It's just awesome.

Fast, easy to use, love the memory card reader, copying capability, etc. etc.

I agree with all the reviews that has rated this printer at the top.

:D

9. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

I've also got this printer and highly recommend it! I bought it to replace an Epson R256 which worked fine in Windows, but the software support from Epson for the Mac was dreadful. Nothing worked as good on my Mac as it did in Windows. The Canon is excellent with Mac and Windows and the print quality is fantastic.

The only down side I can think of is if you like to use compatible ink cartridges. The compatibles for it require you to switch the chips on the cartridge. This means it no longer gives you ink supply information because of this, where as the Epson compatibles are already built-in.

10. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I also purchased this printer when I purchased my Imac last week. The first printer I got set up ok and worked for about an hour as I scanned some photos into the Imac and then all the sudden it started making a loud grinding noise. I called the local Apple store and they said to bring it back and they would give me another one. The second one is hooked up and I have used it for about a couple of hours now and it seems ok but time will tell. I like the printer and purchased it because of the reviews I saw and the information from the salesman at the Apple store.

11. Macworthy macrumors newbie

I just purchase this printer a few days ago, after reading all the great reviews. I've only printed a few photos on the Canon Glossy Photo Paper (4x6), and so far I am not impressed with the color. Actually, I am really disappointed.

The quality/clarity and speed of the print is great, but the colors are dull and not at all the the vibrant color seen on the "sample" print in the store. I am spending time now to see if there is some other setting to use to improve what I am seeing. I don't want to have to color correct every photo.

I also didn't buy higher quality paper yet, just in case...I'm not sure how much of a factor that would play in the vibrancy.

12. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Are these Canon Pixma printers compatible with Leopard?

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, they are.

I have the MP960, by the way and love it. A friend has the MP610 and I can recommend that one highly as well.

14. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick answer. I just ordered one from Best Buy.

15. WCunha macrumors member

Photo Printer with wireless connection

Can anyone recommend a printer that I can connect to my network wirelessly? It will be pretty much used for photos. I currently have a Lexmark X7170 all in one but didn't think it would do well for photos.

Thanks, Wade

16. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Canon is supposedly announcing some new products on Tuesday, possibly a wireless printer. As of now, the only current canon models that can print "wirelessly" are the mp970 and mx700, as they have ethernet ports and can plug into your wireless router.

17. pantrax macrumors newbie

If anyone's still watching this

I have a Pixma ip4300. I love everything about it except the cost of ink cartridges. Is there any service to whom, if I sent my used cartridges off to be refilled (Nope, I self-refilled once, never again) they can reset the chip? I hate to just toss all that plastic (and pay 15 bucks a cart, too, but I'm trying to seem noble)

18. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I've got last year's MP600 and am completely pleased with it.

19. udrivethrume macrumors newbie

I purchased the MP 620 last week when I bought my new MacBook. I love that it prints wirelessly and was relatively easy to set up and get on the network. Scanning is beautiful and printing is both quiet and fast. My only complaint thus far is that there are some small hardly visible lines running through a couple of glossy photos I printed despite the fact that I took the time to align the cartridge heads.

20. DaveF macrumors 6502a

How does scanning work over WiFi? I have my MP600 connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station for network printing and wireless printing from my MBP. But I can't scan or access the memory card unless it's connected directly , by USB, to my computer.

Can you scan and see memory cards in the printer wirelessly?

21. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

i'm looking at the pros/cons of the mp610 vs the mp620. i like the wireless printing of the 620, but i like the fact that i can print pics from my cellphone on the 610. i don't see that feature listed on the 620. Any thoughts on that?

edit: i got the 620, it was on sale and i couldn't pass up the deal